Friday, December 1, 2006

lets try this again, for the 45th time

Let me start by saying this is the second time I'm typing this. And I was really happy with the first version. Lets hope I can recreate the literary masterpiece that myspace obliterated...

OK, I don't know how many of my loyal readers have ever played with guns. I know your not suppose to but we do. But have you ever had one aimed at you? How about 2? And you just knew there was a round in the chamber and the safety was off? Now, it's disconcerting at best. And well. now lets raise the stakes and make that gun a M60 machine gun, you know the kind they have to mount to something more sturdy than a 6'5" US Marine bcause he can't hold it and fire it without being knocked down by the recoil.

I think you get the picture.

I can say now that it's happened to me. On departing Kuwait, we enter through the air base side. I've been on a f ew military installations stateside, but never like this. Brings it all home that people are dying en mass just a 100 miles away or so. We're not in Kansas anymore.

Lets see if I can paint a picture for you. You have to go through several checkpoints to get from the road to the ramp where the planes are parking. Various ID's are checked at each gate. And then there's the one where they put you behind a concrete barrier and go over your vehicle for 10 minutes or so for explosives and contraband. And past each gate are these little towers. They're not well hid or camoflauged... it being a desert i think a tree would be more a give away than just putting up the towers.

Whats in thses towers? Well, judging from the barrels pointing out of them, a M60 and a soldier who knows how to use it. And why have one when you can have two. And it's not like they are pointing away from you while they check your ID. They're pretty much watching for you to do something stupid.

And I tend to do stupid things often... so no quick movements for me. And i did kinda wonder how fast I could be shredded should he suddenly catch his sleeve on the trigger by accident. And then, if these aren't enough, there are Hummers driving around with the machine gun turrets on the top... manned and ready.

And while I never really felt any danger the whole time in Kuwait City, its a vivid reminder that right up the road there is a war going on and people are dying daily. Yet I do think we are doing some good, and so did most of the troops I talked to. (One kid who was holding a gun while he watched me was based at Maxwell in Montgomery... the old Southwind reheasal mecca). I can only hope for a speedy exit form this war without much more bloodshed.

Well, back to the real world. Jersey left today for Jersey. Convenient. And most everyone is working. So i'm not missing out on a lot of fun happeneing I don't think. Next off days I'm home doing not alot, I think I may do some deocrating around the house. I'm really up for some festiveness and holiday cheer. And I actually have bought most the Christmas presents I'm buying this year. There's a possibilty they may get wrapped before Christmas Eve. I know, i'm way ahead this year. But no one get excited, the gifts aren't that great!

No comments:

Post a Comment