Sunday, December 10, 2006

Fly me to the moon...

Strange days...

So, this is coming live from JFK airport in New York. I've manage to not only sniff out a wireless network to jump onto but find a handy window for airplane viewing. And as much as I enjoy watching airplanes at good old ATL, there's so much more variety here. In the time it took me to log on, a Saudia 747 and an Alitalia MD-11 have taken flight. So I'm managing to satisfy my inner airplane nerd and my inner cyber nerd at the same time. I only wish the network connection worked in the Sam Adams brewpub here... I would never leave.

So I got up this morning after way too little sleep. But I did manage to convert my 10 hour shift into a 6 hour shift last night. I think thats fair for having an 8 AM flight scheduled after being on shift till 3 AM. ANd i had a committment I just didn't want to get out of yesterday afternoon.

SO anyways, it turns out in an odd twist of coincidence I used to work with Tanya's older brother back in the old FedEx days. I was wondering why he stared at me when he came in the apartment. I mean besides the obvious jealousy that he's not me. It was one of those 'small world' moments. If I would have only known how hot his sister was back then, I may have tried to hang out more.

I've been busy at home. Well, not really, but I have managed to get gifts not only bought, but wrapped already!!! And my spiffy little tree is all decorated, and the apartment itself has taken on some festive flourishes. Yes, I think I'm getting that Christmas spirit. Yet I still have no idea what to get mom.

I'm thinking of maybe having some people over to experience my festive abode, and possibly buy an sweater with a reindeer on the front... ok not so much on the reindeer sweater. My jubulance does have bounds. I'm thinking thursday after my triumphant return from Germany, but we'll see. It won;t be a full blown party, mostly becase alot of people will be working. Maybe I can just have the whole harem assemble for a meeting. Then add some copious ammounts of alcohol and see what kind of festive cheer they spread. Stay tuned.

There's a freakin pigeon walking around the gate area I'm in.... only in NY.

So, a little bit of aviation history... the Delta terminal i'm currently sitting in was once the Pan American World Airways Worldport. It was built back in 19.. and was that starting point for many journeys for the armada that once carried the signature "Blue Globe" to the far corners of the world. Its just kinda neat to think about how many people caught their first glimpse of America in this building.

All Nippon AIrways B-777... cool

OK, thats my historical moment for the day, I'm off to find some lunch before heading over to the Lufty cargo terminal for my ride out. I can't say i'm looking forward to the flight, the seat is going to be hella uncomfy and their doing pilot training. But the price is right. I'll be in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment