Wednesday, December 13, 2006

This is getting ridicuous


Current mood: aggravated

I wrote this earlier today when I wa sin a much better mood, before getting screwed by departments that refuse to talk amongst themselves... for the seocnd time. I was looking forward to coming home tonight. Now, I'll be home later tomorrow.. and thankfully they were so nice to book the center seat in the back fo the airplane for me... for 10 hours... I think I may die. Anyways, enjoy the following... I think i'll order a $20 burger and charge it to the company.


So, here we are again. Grace used to send epistles on her treks around Europe,. I'm not doing nearly as much of a grand tour as she did. It's been about 5 years since I've been to the continent for any length of time. And this is my first time visiting Germany (for more than an hour at the airport). There are good things and bad things. Although I've managed to increase my German reading skills immensely, I'm still way behind on the conversational German. Honestly, sounds like a lot of throat clearing.

Let us look at Cologne, or Koln. The major attraction best I can observe is the cathedral. Apparently it's the only thing the allies didn't bomb to small pieces in the war. I have to believe we missed intentionally, because we couldn't possibly have not hit it without trying. It's amazingly huge, rivaling Notre Dame. Though it seemed more dark and gothic. Outside the Dom (German for cathedral), there was the first of the Christmas markets encountered. And let me give you a weather brief, the first night it was cold and misty. Generally miserable, but the Germans were out in force. The second night it was just cold and windy, and there were even more out and about. It was very festive. I'm not used to being outside in the cold when not having to be, and they seem to enjoy it. Could have been the Gluhwien.

So, today I took a trip over to Brussels. Due to a snafu, I no longer have a seat on the flight home from CGN. But it's a quick train ride over to BRU. And really, a trip to Europe is not complete with out a train ride. I really enjoy the trains here, they are much more relaxed than flying. None of the insane security and the hassle. And it by the time you factor in all the lines at an airport, the train is usually faster and cheaper. It was 41 Euros, or about $60 for a 3 hour train ride. Its comfortable, and you here every language on the continent being spoken.

Best part of the train rides have been the scenery. You see the country side. And it's much better than just flying over it. And in my experience Europe is usually cloudy, so this is about the only way you see the countryside. If you get the chance, come over, plan a train ride somewhere. You can grab a beverage of choice, put on some headphones and just stare out the windows. Chances are you'll either fall asleep or meet some one nice alone the way.

So here I sit in the hotel bar in Brussels (or since I'm all about using the local vernacular… Bruxelles). I'm spending my last 5 Euros on a Stella Artois (hey, I'm in Belgium). I don't even know what my budgeting on this trip went like, I really haven't been paying attention. Mainly because I have the money and secondly because I'm getting paid plus per diem for this little jaunt.

I just noticed the bar at the hotel is called the the Cockpit Bar… hrrmm.

So the other thing I like to do when I get over here is not be a tourist, but be a traveler. There's a difference. Think of a tourist being the person always lost staring at a map, and in the case of most Americans, being really annoying to the locals. Being a traveler is being some one a little savvy to the local ways and language, and who blends in a little but people still know your not from around here. Your polite and understanding and take the normal language and cultural differences in stride. At the end of the day, you've probably learned something about the place your at but the people your around.

So, I think I managed well in Cologne, people would ask me directions… in German. I would politely say excuse me, and they would ask again in English. Oddly enough, I knew the answers most times. That's the way I like to move around. I'm always trying to just blend in.

So, I learned Germans like American football. I even discussed the NFL with an English bartender in an Irish pub in a German city. I find that amusing. Got to talk some travel ideas with a German bartender at the Bier Museum, and found out she just was offered a job that day in an advertising firm. Her sister in Chicago was going to be very excited about it.

I also noticed that German girls really like "hooker" boots. And I really like German girls in hooker boots. It's a great compromise.

So it's fair to say that these last couple trips really haven't done much to remedy that travel urge I've had of late. Instead, I want to see more and go new places. I think some one should come with me next time though. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment