Monday, December 1, 2008

Walking like an Egyptian

Current mood:loved

Back to the real world. I'm not so excited to be back in Louisville. it's cold, grey, and rainy at the moment. Well, its sort of drizzly at the moment, but apparently it was snow not too long ago. Judging from the 1/2 inch of the stuff on my car. A far cry from Thursday's sunny and mid 60's weather I enjoyed. And I enjoyed it at Susan's family Thanxgiving extravaganza.

Yes, I ventured into that dark territory with only my faith and charm to protect me. So essentially, I was unarmed and unafraid. I have to say the initial nerves were soothed on arrival with the pleasantness of her family and the knowledge that I could always make JoHnathon out to be a real jerk to make me look better. Luckily I didn't have to use that particular weapon. I suppose the talk with Jack Daniels also had a relaxing effect.

Let us go back to the beginning. I flew in Wednesday morning on a half empty (or half full) jet from SDF. I hung out at the airport to have a Chic-fil-a lunch and some grand people watching. I was really surprised how not busy it was. That did work in my favor I suppose. I waited for Jersey to arrive, and she handed over the keys to her car as she ran off to her family home in Jersey. An all to short visit, but I think we'll be rectifying that at Christmas. From there it was to the mom's and a nap. I'd been up all night with work and all, so crash i did.

I woke up to darkness. I forgot how dark and cave like my old bedroom could be. I really miss that. I went over to visit with the Chicago side of the family who was in town and treated to a lovely dairy queen dinner. After a quick trip with uncle Don to pick up his daughters at the airport (and showing him the convenience of the downstairs pickup option) I was off to see Grace and JoHnathon. Another quick visit, and home I went... and passed out again.

The next day (Thanksgiving), I spent the morning conversing with mom over fresh homemade fried apple pies. I had a half dozen or so sitting there, then bagged up a few more for the trip to Susan's. To me and my siblings, these things are similar to crack. You can't get enough and its so so yummy.

Grace, JoHnathon and I were off to the Gump. A lovely scenic drive, we took in the beauiful road construction, architectural marvel of the new KIA plant, and the majestic Chattahooche flowing to the sea. Very surreal.

On arrival, we were welcomed as a returning conquering army... well close to that. I did impress myself through the day by not spilling food on my shirt, and no one screamed at me claiming I was the devil and ruining Susan's life. So all in all I call it a success. Though at times there was an urge to throw food, but I suppose that's just natural.

It's snowing again.

Back to Stockbridge that night, I again crashed in my old room. Though not as regally decorated as when I lived in it , it was still cozy. I don't understand why mom didn't feel my pile of "stuff" and clothes shouldn't be a permanent addition, but I guess our stylistic opinions are different. At any rate, I woke up Friday morning (always a good start) and put the wheels in motion. I met up with Brian G for a few minutes while he and a co worker were enjoying a lunch break. I insulted his profession and was generally rude, but he likes that sort of abuse. I'm waiting for him to pull me over for speeding one day, then I'll really lay into his piggy ass.

After that, I was off to Downtown, got the accommodations for the weekend in order, met Grace and JoHnathon at Fellini's in Buckhead for pizza. Long ago, in my misspent youth, the fedex gang used to frequent this particular pizza place. Sunny Summer Sunday afternoons would find us out on the patio, with a few pies and more than a few pitchers of beer. There was conversation, people watching, girl gawking, and general fun had by all. Normally arriving in the 4 pm area and staying until 9 or 10. Why?? Well we had nothing better to do really. Following the afternoon at Fellini's, we often went to take in some culture at the Pink Pony Museum and Performing Arts Theatre.

We skipped that part on Friday, electing instead to go shopping. We tried out some mattresses and then off to IKEA. I'm not normally anti-Swedish, but IKEA does make me lean that way. Nevermind the ridiculous crowds, which the Swedes have no control over, it's the store that pisses me off. It's like a bad carnival funhouse. A maze to navigate through and you can't go back if you go in. It's really annoying.

After a comparison of every light to be had, we decided on a floor lamp and desk lamp for JoHnathon's place. Items that matched his personality, budget, and we could find bulbs for. Ironically the bulb part seemed to be the most difficult endeavor of the day.

Back to JoHnathon's high rise bachelor pad (think Shagadelic), he put his little woman to work assembling the lights while the men watched and sipped Cognac. Then, some home improvement work as we ripped down a cabinet thingy in he kitchen, only to reveal the unexpected surprise of massive holes. But it did realy open up the room and increased the feng shui-ness. Though I'm not sure the apartment people will approve, but JoHnathon has a year to come up with a reason for the missing cabinet.

Finally, the time I had been waiting for all day arrived, and her name was Susan. She sauntered into town after her circuitous drive. We had a lovely dinner at Gordon Beirsch and a relaxing evening.

Saturday, we decided to improve ourselves and broaden our minds. Part of the weekend plan was a package deal I found, including tickets to the King Tut exhibit at the civic center and the Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit at the High. Both were extremely fascinating, and anyone one with a minor interest in history and ancient cultures should go take it in. It' s really quit amazing how detailed and artistic people could be when honoring their dead leaders. That and an unending supply of slave labor really allowed for some great accomplishments. I do find it amusing that the first 30 years of my life living in the Atlanta area I never visited the High Museum, but in the last year since I've moved away I've been to 2 exhibits there.

I think the Egypt exhibit was slightly more organized and well laid out, and there were lots of crafty gold trinkets, including earrings that had to was 15 pounds... ouch. And in both cases, I was feeling a sense of awe that I was looking at things crafted over 3000 years ago. And more impressively, was hidden for most of that time. It makes me wonder if in 5108 AD some one will dig up my trinkets and try to reconstruct my life (As I certainly rank in cultural importance as a Pharoah or first Chinese Emperor). Then I think, what do I have that would possibly last that long if buried??? My entire life will be constructed around an extensive collection of pint glasses and Hard Rock cafe pins.

The only downside was the other people there. I really liked reading the descriptions of items only to have some one walk right in front of me, stop, and beginning reading themselves. It was doubly annoying if they had on headphones that was piping the same information into their ears. Otherwise a fine day.

Afterwards, the World of Coke awaited. I will admit that I'm not the biggest fan of the World of Coke, having seen it at the old location several times. It is interesting to see the bottling process, and to sample the drinks from around the world (try the Beverly from Italy, it boggles the mind how people who created such good food and wine drink such crap soda). We did also get a wonderful picture (which i was initially against mainly as I wasn't feeling photogenic or Christmasy) with a large polar bear. But after I as told it was the cutest thing ever, I resolved myself that maybe no one would notice my lack of beauty when overshadowed by a lovely Susan and a large bear.

The pictures did turn out fun and I think should be made into Christmas cards for everyone.

And a side note, GO JACKETS!!!!!!

It's stopped snowing.

After the world of coke, a quick trip to return Jersey's car and back to the ATL for dinner. Susan and I like to explore the culinary offerings of our surrounds, so we try to find places neither of us have experienced for dining. This time it was Houston's on Peachtree. And it was yummy. The staff was nice and it had this old school late 1960's appeal to it. It's the kind of place I would expect to see suits with thin lapels and thin ties or a mobster in the corner booth. I dig it.

Sunday came, and we roused ourselves at the crack of 11 AM, and enjoyed the fogginess out the window. We were off to meet Charles and David for brunch at what's become one of our favorite places to eat in the city, Tap. I had decided that morning to forgo the usually jumpseating madness in ATL and just buy a ticket home. it cost me about $100 but I flew out fo Birmingham instead. And more importantly I could wear jeans and drink (though I didn't have a single cocktail... missed oportunities). Best of all, I was able to spend more time with Susan on the car ride to the Ham. So after brunch... road trip!

I made it back to my house here around 10 PM, and the weekend ended. Even though it lasted for about 5 days, it was too short. I apologize to everyone I didn't get to meet up with, it's a hectic time for all. Maybe during Christmas break we'll have more time to make the rounds.

That's the rundown of the last few days, I learned alot, met many people, and enjoyed the hell out of my time. Now it's the 3 week Marathon to Christmas, we in the shipping business call it "peak". I've already started picking up OT. Hopefully it will be profitable for me, and not too stressful. I'm very much looking forward to the holidays!

I hope everyone had safe travels and a wonderful Thanxgiving. See y'all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment