Saturday, March 22, 2008

This is where we used to live...

I suppose, it’s time for another one of those big steps in life. Last year was a marked change in my life, nd today is another one of those times I’m feeling very reflective. I spent the day with Jonathon and Grace, mostly J, cleaning and disposing of "stufF" This is the last weekend that I’ll have a residence in Georgia. And that’s a little sad. Sure I love the place in Louisville, but it’s currently missing something. Actually a lot of somethings.

So, Its a year ago I took a plunge and gave up residential independence and took on some roommates. Specifically Jonathon and Joe. I’d known them for a while and I was sure they would be fine roommates, namely since they are pilots and never home. I thought it would be great. I pay a significantly reduced rent and they’re almost never here. And when they were, they usually had Grace and Tanya in tow. SO essentially it was a party every random day we were home at once. Then the weird thing happened, I kind of started looking forward to seeing them around. I mean, Joe and I have that special relationship, the kind that only be properly expressed by twirling in the aisles of Kroger and Publix.

And then Joe abandoned us for a woman... a WOMAN!!! Fortunately it was Tanya, we all love her so we had to let him go. And some how, through the miracle of Craig’s List, Adam came knocking on the door. We all met him one day, and by "we all" I mean the entire judging panel of Grace, Tanya, Jon, Joe, and I. Of course it was like 3 pm on a Wednesday or something and we were all well into a 12 pack of something cold and delicious. I don’t think Adam knew what kind of group he was getting associated with, or he probably would have paid us for the privilege of moving in. And again, we had a triumvirate again. Now I don’t think I’m the cleanest person to live with, but I’m not slob (I hope), but J and Adam were the neatest, cleanest guys I can imagine. Add to that they cook. I scored big time.

MY only previous roommate experience was living with Chandra, which was great and I didn’t think I’d ever find a roommate situation that was as fun as her. Jon, Joe, and then Adam were almost there. Chandra had few extra benefits that the guys couldn’t provide for me. Thankfully.

But I digress...

So, here we are. Adam brought free coffee and gourmet meals, and in return we introduced him to our version of a "pool party". And we were living happily ever after. Unfortunately good turns of life conspired to split us up. I took the job with Brown, Adam had plans to see the world, an J decided to become Captain Lewis (which is what he makes his call him as we salute him when he enters the room now... is that weird?)

We still continued to have fun gatherings, rarely an organized party. We just all sort of ended up here with adult beverages in tow. Somewhere along the way I became closer friends with some people, met new friends, and fell madly in love. I also found out how wonderful the people I surrounded myself with are. I’ve always had great taste in the people I choose to keep around me as friends, even if sometimes I tend to choose badly in the love interest department. (That curse has been cured though).

So it’s really bumming me out that I won’t have them with me in Kentuckiana. And while I know I’m only a flight away, it makes things that much more complicated, and the "on a whim" gathering for Grey’s Anatomy night or Trivia won’t be happening. That’s kind of saddening.

But I guess this is the next phase of life. At least I’m not going it alone. I have Susan who makes me incredibly happy. I’ll have Grace and Jon adn TanJoe and Cha’s who all fly free, and damn well better come visit. I do expect to continue to be on invite lists for the infamous halloween parties and other gatherings at Jay and Amie’s new house. I know where Jersey lives and she’s has been gracious enough to offer me space at the inn when I’m town. There will be an excursion to visit Adam in his next job (and Susan may join me if she will ever get her passport). JR will still be occasionally picking me up at 6 am for rides, whether he knows it or not. And he better keep inviting me to the Brauss House for NASCAR parties (though I have no idea who drives anymore).

I will miss the apartment here, it was nothing spectacular structurally, and the furniture left something to be desired at times. But it was fun living here with great people. Even Ryan would put in th occasional appearance when not living in the shithole of the month. Too bad I never got to keep the BMW, I would have take great care of it!

There are a lot of memories in the walls, and stains in the carpet. I can only hope the next place will be as much fun. I’ll be seeing everyone at random times. Now, for some sleep for the last time at 1037.

See ya, I’m off to Louisville in the morning, where theres beer in the fridge, bourbon on the shelf, vodka in the freezer, and sushi at the corner. I expect people to come partake!

And lastly, I think everyone should check out my hot girlfriend and her new haircut. She doesn’t believe me when I tell her I think it looks great. I’m a very lucky man.

No comments:

Post a Comment