Thursday, March 27, 2008

Above the planet on a wing and a prayer

For the first time in months, I’m not travelling this weekend. I’m staying "home" in Louisville, and its still weird to consider this town home. It’s not like there’ anything horrible about the town, actually its much the opposite. It’s a lot like Atlanta 14-20 years ago. Less traffic, less hassle. More grounded.

So, I had planned to attend a gathering tomorrow night, but due to family issues with the host, the vent has been cancelled. I do however think there will be an outing. SO this should be interesting at least.

Otherwise, this week has been fairly mundane. More training classes, and in a break from the normal study of a particular type of aircraft’s systems, I had a class in Longe Range Navigation. This is somewhat odd for the initial training, since we are all going into a domestic seat (allegedly). And this is a class designed for pilots flying international trips, and what to do in the event of most contingencies that would make life miserable. For example, sudden loss of your GPS and inertial nav systems. ANd suddenly your flying like Lindbergh did, with a watch and a compass.

And while, in my job this is mostly trivil knowledge, we all really seemed to get into the class. And then it was back to classes on how the DC-8 works. It’s a unique plane, mainly because it was designed in the 1950’s, as opposed to planes that were designed in the 70’s and 80’s. It’s really easy to see how much we have learned in 30 years. And in some cases how much more complicated we’ve made things.

Now that I’ve bored everyone with techno-babble, I have a lot I want to get accomplished around the apartment this weekend. I want to have everything unboxed and in some sort of place. This will requirea couple of furniture purchases, mostly on the cheap Target side for the time being. I have a vision, I just need to spend the time, effort, and money to get there.

And hopefully, by the time people come up for Thunder (the airshow on the 12th of April) or for Derby (which is allegedly a Kentuckianan equivalent of Mardi Gras), the place will be in good shape, and clean! Reserve your room now!

And since I’m making this home, lets hear it for the U of Louisville and their defeat fo the UT Vols to move to the Elite Eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment