Friday, August 10, 2007

Taming the Perilous Skies

Apparently, I worte a blog that was similar to this one but forgot to post it? Or the internet elves just ate it. Whatever. It was actually pretty interesting. A detailed account of my journey from Louisville to Atlanta. Boring you think? Nay. Let me recount that trying day...

Basically, I had decided to come home this weekend, and I was hoping to use my newfound flying abiliies. So, after leaving work, I rolled over to the hub parking lot, and UPS has this handy service where they will shuttle you to the passenger terminal. I love free airport parking. I'm planning to head home on a 6 pm flight on ASA. Thanx to a wonderful friend, I know there are about 20 seats open, and the flight after that at 645 has 15. So I'm golden right? NAY!!

Basically, the 6 pm flight was delayed. The 645 flight was on time. And the 445pm flight was now scheduled out at 730. So all the revenue passneger are up in arms to swap flight. All trying to get on the first one out. Meanwhile, the planes are just getting more and more delayed... and the times keep changing so the first flight out keeps changing. Then around 7 pm, with one plane on the ground (the original 645 departure), my flight is canelled. YAY!!!

So, I take it in stride and head to the next gate. The flight there is now running over 3 hours late. But has plenty of seats. So I wait. The plane leaves Atlanta to fly up. There was much rejoicing (yay). The plane arrives, people start gathering their belongings (they've sprawled out over the last 4 hours) and gettign ready to board. Thats when I see it.

The captain comes off and starts conversing with the gate agent. The captain has a very serious look about him. The gate agent just sort of deflates. The PACK on the plane is inop. That means no air conditioning, and apparntly it was over 100 degrees in the cabin, and the captain is not taking that plane anywhere. After my package car (Yes Susan, I said Package Car) ride on Monday, I was all for getting ont he hot box and going. A couple of bottles of water and a Jack on the rocks I would have been fine for the 45 minutes. Well, after 20 minutes or so of waiting, Delta cancels the flight. If I was paying for a ticket I would have been pissed.

Now I'm down to 2 choices, I can just drive the 7 hours or wait for the early AM browntail to Atlanta. After some quick math, I realized thayt driving would get me in about 5 AM, by which time I would have been awake for almost 24 hours. So, the browntail it is. Plus I would get in earlier. And now since I have a few hours to spare, I head back to the apartment, grab a nap, a shower, and some food. And pretty much just "chill". After i knocked the AC down to a reasonable temperature, something my roommate doesn't seem to get. Yes i know that its more expensive, but I don't like being all sweaty in bed... especially when I'm alone.

I must give major thanx to Cha's, Jersey, nd Grace for keeping me amused while I sat at the airport. It was kind of hard to get to annoyed with them making me smile.

On the upside, I was able to take my first ride on a Uniform Papa Sierra plane. For those who care, it was a DC-8-73. And thanx to Leslie for skipping out of work at 4 am to come pick me up. I owe her!!

And now I'm home. Friday I did a lot of sleeping and hanging out. Dinner with Jersye, drinks with everyone later. I did have a brilliant idea to take the bike out. For those who may be wondering what its like to ride a motorcycle in 100 degree weather, find a restroom with the hand dryers, put your face in front of the outflow, and turn it on. Thats about as close as I can think of. Good times.

Well, I have an exciting day of doing nothing much planned. Until later.

No comments:

Post a Comment