Friday, October 17, 2008

Fly,fly away

Current mood:eccentric

I'm le tired, and i can't be bothered to sit upright. SO expect lots of typos.

It's been a random week. I've decided, with some encouragement from Susan, that it would be good to get out and do some form of physical activity. So I've taken to walking more about the neighborhood. Wednesday I walked down a few blocks to Heine Brothers coffee for a shot of caffeine and to get out in a little sun. By the way, it is pronounced Hi-Knee. I digress. So I grabbed the new issue of The Velocity (for you ATL types, its the Lull-vull version of Creative Loafing. and kind of whats going paper with fringy articles) and my white chocolate mocha. I had noticed lots of people standing around and some reflective screens but though nothing of it. Then I noticed the two camera men and the guy with boom mic. Yes I know, nothing gets past me.

Long story short, i watched as the filmed these two girls talking about some kind of business they were looking to start. I asked one of the rew what wa sup, turns out they're filming a new reality show for a major network, but had a nondisclosure agreement. What struck me most is how obviously unreal the reality shows are. There were takes, there was some rehearsing, there was some direction. My innocence shattered, I left between takes (s not to be on camera, there are some legal organizations that don't need to know where I'm hanging my hat.

Later that evening I found some dinner and started watching the presidential debate in the bar. I thought maybe if I drank enough Jack Daniels they would make sense and shine out as honorable and enlightened men we would want to be president. Well, luckily I was walking home and it was a short walk, because Jack Daniels wasn't strong enough to create my delusion. I actually think i may vote for Jack.

So, I meandered home and did some video conferencing with Susan. I really do dig this technology. Not only does it relieve me from annoynce of a sweaty ear, but it lets me see her faces and expressions. Not to mention I get to watch her play with her new "children".

I then fell asleep, at night. Go me. Unfortunately I woke up wa earlier then I wanted to. With a whole day ahead of me, not much luck in going back to sleep, and a grey rainy day just beginning; I resolved to get the hell out of Dodge. After some quick internet research, I headed to the airport to catch a flight to Washington, DC For a year or so now I've been wanting to check out the new Smithsonian Air and Space Museum center out by Dulles airport, but kept putting it off. Today, I said what the hell. And maybe I could meet up with Jen-nay while I was there. When I got to DC, I had a message from Ms Mills. She couldn't meet me for lunch (too busy being a Marine), but she was free after 4 or so. Well, after a quick wardrobe change in a DCA bathroom, i hit the metro for IAD.

You may be asking why I didn't just fly to IAD directly, well theres not a pax flight from here to there. It was nice to be in a city with good mass transit. It's such a great advantage to the public and makes life a little easier. IMHO.

So after the subway and bus journey, I finally made it to the museum. The only downside I found to the place was you couldn't touch the planes. I suppose thats understandable, you don't want peoples oily hands all over carefully restored airplanes. And you need to keep freeks like me from rubbing up on the SR-71. I would have like to put my hands on the Enola Gay or climb into the Concorde cockpit. But i still enjoyed my day there. the admission price to the museum is great (free) and I think its a worthwhile endeavor to venture out there. Check out the pictures, and I have no idea why some are so blurry.

After the museum, I ventured back to downtown DC and met up with Jennie and had a yummy dinner at a Belgium restaurant. While i did have some steamed Brussels sprouts, I declined to have the mussels from brussels (no, the menu didn't have that on there, its my corniness). I had a yummy steak thing with Belgium (not French) fries, complete with mayo. After dinner, we went back to Jennies condo so I could meet Winston, her very large and very slobbery bloodhound. A very playful puppy, which is roughly my height. But alas, it was time to head back out to Dulles so I could catch an UPS flight home. Jennie kindly drove me out.

ALl day, most of my travels had either been underground or out in the suburban areas, hich is indistinct form any other suburban area. But on the drive home, I could see the buildings and monuments, and had a brief " Ahhhh" moment, seeing the Capitol, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, and the Pentagon. Cool stuff

And now I'm back home. I did a brief kroger stop and bought food I probably shouldn't have (I was hungry). And now, sleepy time. I'm looking forward to the next few weeks. Lots of potential, and I can't wait to see lots of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment