Monday, September 15, 2008

This Blows!

Current mood:savage

So, for the first time I can remember, I was awaken by wind. I knew before leaving work this morning it was suppose to be a windy day her in Kentuckiana (or the other name I heard, Indyucky). The forecast was for gusts up to about 30-35 knots, 40 mph. Well.. they missed that one. Apparently 75 mph winds rolled through this afternoon. My power is out and has been for a few hours, and I don't expect it to be back on for a few hours still.

Thankfully there's Starbuck's, the last refuge for man in a storm. Of course I had to pass 4 to find one with electricity still on. I do have to commend the KY drivers on figuring out the inop traffic signal rules. Everyone pretty much has the treat it like a stop sign thing down. Georgian drivers, for the most part, could never figure that out.

It amazes me how much I get annoyed at the loss of modern conveniences. The power goes out, no big deal. I can amuse myself with a flashlight and a book. No internet, well I can wait till later and use work. And lack of cell phone signal, I'll just ue the internet to keep in touch... oh wait, its gone. Well, I should call some one about that.. oh hell, the phone isn't working. ANd it's getting dark, I can't shower by flashlight... i should call or email the power company.. oh wait.. OH my god, what will I do.. PANIC!!!!

(Yes apparently the T-Mobile tower by my house lost power, or the whole tower, I went from 5 bars of signal on a normal day to none!)

So, if you don't hear from me over the next couple of days, it's due to roving bands of marauders (who are dreadfully similar to the people from a Road Warrior movie) attacking our makeshift fortress on Duker Ave. Good thing I have fake swords for my defense.

Other than that, I'm trying to engineer a trip to meet Ryn in Brasil. Unfortunately getting my visa is being well more complex than I hoped. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal, but giving up my passport for a couple weeks could put a crimp in my travel habits. We'll see what I can work out.

Anyways, I need to go foraging for food before the marauders return. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment