Friday, July 11, 2008

I’m not broke, but I can see the cracks

It' been a while, so here goes. Buckle in.

I know everyone out there is wondering what I've been up to? Sitting on the edges of seats everywhere just waiting for the "New Blog Posted" notification to pop up. Well, now your dreams are answered.

I've been exceedingly busy. More so than normal. I had a fabulous 4th of July weekend, I've gotten some things organized and taken care of up here in Kentucky, and I've been stuck in waiting rooms for hours.

First the weekend. I made it down to the ATL bright and early on Thursday. by bright and early I mean I left Louisville at 2 pm. IN a feet of amazing organization on the part of, oh lets blame Delta, it took me longer to get from an airplane to the gate then it did for said airplane to fly from Louisville to Atlanta. Let me extrapolate, and rant. We pushed out of SDF a little early, and zipped of to Atlanta. After a pleasent 55 minute flight, we landed. And then we taxied, and taxied, and taxied some more. Past concourse A, then B, then C, then D, then E. At this point I was a little worried since there ar eno more concourses, but we pulled into the far northeast part of the ramp and sat. And sat. Apparently there were no gates available for us to use, which is kind of amusing since we passed a lot of empty ones on the drive by, but hey, there's some super master parking plan we have to follow. Then we move... not to park, but to get out of the way of a plane pushing out... which then sat.. and broke, and went back in. IN the ned, 45 minutes later we parked. not at a gate, but on the corner of the ramp. We were then bussed to the terminal building. That's a new experience for me in Atlanta. But ok, so then buses dump us off at the the farthest point from the front of the terminal as possible. Following a 50 minute (yes 50, the train stopped for 1 minutes at every concourse) ride to the terminal, I then wandered aimlessly looking for Grace's car in the parking deck. And in all fairness, Grace did give exact directions to where she parked. I'm just an idiot.

Finally off the airport to Jersey's, where I chilled. We went out or dinner and a movie (which sucked.. I don't recommend Wanted, I give it one middle finger up). Then I crashed and slept like a baby. Jersey had to be an unwilling festive participant in the PTC 4th of July parade (who has a parade at 9 AM???). I slept in.

Later, after fetching Grace from the airport and meeting up with Susan, it was off to the next abode. I got a fantabulous deal at the downtown Atlanta Marriott Marquis. It as quite nice inside, and really a nice non-getaway, a staycation if you will. I did find it amusing that when asked if we wanted a lower floor or a higher floor, I answered "higher" and Susan answered "Lower" simultaneously. The lady behind the desk just smiled and offered something in the middle. Off the the 28th floor we go, in the big glass elevator. One of the mre interesting things about the stay was the toehr clientele in the hotel. Seems the hotel was hosting the Bible Bowl Convention while offering a special Pride Weekend special. Very amusing.

Other highlights from the weekend: Fireworks viewing from Captain Lewis' (we're no longer allowed to address him as Jonathon, we must recognize his authoritii) balcony, Martini samplers (or liquor trees) in the hotel bar, another brunch at Tap, inadvertently being part of the Pride parade, Sunday brunch on the patio in a thunderstorm, complete with lightning strikes all around us. ANd dinner gathering at the mom's house (where the eldest brother was trying to remove evidence of a burnt shoe form the exhaust of my motorcycle, without much luck, i like him getting caught and looking nervous. Luckily, that not being an uncommon occurrence, I knew exactly how to get it off).

I had a wonderful time with Susan, and we tried to squeeze in as much visitation with as many people as possible. To the point I was feeling worn out by Sunday.

But alas, I still had 2 more days left in the weekend. Susan returned home, and I took up residence at the Jones house, where an exciting night of doing nothing was followed closely by an exciting Monday of doing nothing. And it was everything I had hoped it would be. But then Monday night, it was the annual Dave Matthews Band concert at Lakewood (which has been renamed Lakewood again officially). My date this year was the lovely Grace. This being her first DMB live experience, she seems to have enjoyed it. It wasn't the best of the 23 shows I've seen, but it was good to be there, and joined by Chrissie, Goodie and wife. We had nice central font lawn viewing, complete with all the marijuana smoke you could want. Which for me, was none. I still don't understand going to a concert just to be drunk and high the whole time. I mean, why pay $50 to get in, then $11 (yes, $11) a beer? Stay home, by a 12 pack of Nattie Light, and smoke up your basement.

Maybe I'm just getting old. We were the oldest people with in 200 square feet, and as Grace put it, it was like chaperoning a frat party.

So, Tuesday morning I returned to Kentuckiana. Work ensued Tuesday evening. It was very exciting stuff. Or not.

Wednesday I ahd my first doctors appointment in 15-20 years. And while I've had some recent ailments and aches, nothing too serious, I thought perhaps it was time to juet get a check up and see how far medical science has progressed. Apparently not far enough to cut down wait times to a reasonable amount. But oh well. So to respond to the concerns out there, nothing is really wrong, but I just thought it may be time to see how the body is working these days. I'm not getting any younger, and my initial life plan of being dead by 30 from ridiculous partying or strange jungle diseases acquired through world travels seems to have not panned out. I guess I should start trying to repair the damage and cure the jungle diseases.

Which leads me to why I'm typing this now, I'm waiting on the blood test people to open.

In other news, I now have a legally registered car again. My Georgia registration had lapsed due to changing my insurance, and I needed to register in Kentucky. After some title chasing and signature getting, I now have a lovely Kentucky tag. And in my further determination to not be a horse person, despite Susan's and my mother's efforts, I shunned the 2 horse tag designs here and went instead with the polar bear tag. I mean seriously, polar bears are so much cuddlier, and we're melting away their world, and no amount of Coca-cola can fix that. Though the polar bears seem to enjoy it in the commercials.

Plus the tag supports the zoo here. ANd now its paid for thru Nov of 2009.

ON the work front, last night I had my North Atlantic, Europe, and MidEast desk check. There was only one hiccup, and It was of my own making. After i rushed out to change a few flight plans, I realized I went a bit overboard and cold have gotten away with doing nothing. But it was a nice exercise, and impress my desk checker person.

Well, the lunch break is over, so I'm of to give up some hear earned blood. ANd today is day one of vacation. Nothing extravagant planned, since I'm broke. I'm off to colorado for a wedding and then to see Susan later next week. Fun fun flying! At least i've picked up a book for the trip.

Oh, and looks like I have an extra ticket for another Dave Matthews Band show her ein Louisville, anyone interested in being a stand-in date and being added to the long line of people that I've dragged to a concert? First committed person wins!

No comments:

Post a Comment