Sunday, September 16, 2007

Spread the word around, guess who’s back in town

So I'm sitting ina Catholic shurch school classroom. And while nota actually ina church, I can feel a slight burning sensation on the top layer of my skin. I may go filla sink with water and see if it boils when I put my finger in it. I'll le tyou know how ti works out.

So i'm down in beautiful Montgomery Alabama. And while I used to be a frequent visitor to this part of the world, it's been a while since I've needed to grace this town with my presence. And it shows. Its somewhat amusing how somethings never change.

Theres been a few nostalgic feelings strike me as I drove around. Most of them harken back to my youthful Southwind days. Usually a memory of a certian place I'd pass ( Al's Wash House, where I learned to do laundry before tour started). Theres all the places we used to rehearse out around town, pretty much every national guard armory in MGM has seen me sleep on its floors. And then theres Big Dave's old neighborhood and the former "corps hall" where all us kids would hang out after camps. Very good times.

And in the most ironic of twists, as I'm driving into town Friday night, listening to highs school football scores being broadcast (and recognizing all the names and seeing pictures in my mind of people I knew who went there years ago), I realized I was listening to the voice of someone who I had once marched with, now working under the name Lance La Party (yeah, it sorta fits in a strange way).

So, for a town I never really lived in more than a few days or a week at a time, I still feel like I did a lot of growing up here. And there's a certain amount of irony in that I'm here again, visitng some one who becomes increasingly important to me every day. And even better that she is friends with a few of my old Southwind cohorts.

And though she seems to think I'm terribly bored with the Montgomery scene, I'm having a great time. Being with her helps incredibly, even though she's dead set on me getting a pedicure.. I seem to be successfully fighting that. There's been whole lot of good times in this part of the world for me, and I see a lot more fun in the future.. I mean its no Sydney or Paris, but it holds a few redeeming qualities.

So, I'm off to harass Susan while she tries to get her classroom ready for the coming week. I'll let eveyrone know how that boiling water goes... and I think I can hear the faint sounds of bad opera music in the distance.

Oh and I think I'm going to start posting the albums that the subject lines come from... since no one plays the game anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment