Saturday, January 8, 2011

See the world in green and blue, see China right in front of you.

Flying free has its advantages, one of which is a certain level of flexibility in travel plans. Imagine how disheartened I was to find out that my return flight had been pretty well set due to lack of seat on later dates. I was even mentally ready to call United (which apparently has moved it's headquarters to India based on the people I spoke to) and bitch and moan until they let me change my ticket for no fee. Alas it was UPS that held me back.

So, there we are back in Saigon on a rainy Tuesday night. The Lewii, having taken the morning trip for temple viewing, we're fairly wiped out, and J having to be up for a 5 AM flight wasn't something to inspire a night out in HCMC. As we piled into the apartment, Tanya greeted us with stories of cleaning and moving. They looked relieved to be in a new home they can call heir own and not living in a bag. Tanya and I decided that we should go find dinner, and leave the lewii to rest. SO off to Gringo's for Taco Tuesdays. One would normally find the idea of delicious taco's in Saigon to be a strange concept. But, they were really good! Though the concept of the all you can gorge basket of chips and salsa hasn't caught on there yet, which is probably a good thing.

Joe met us at gringos after his trip was over, and we decided to walk across the street to QD's, mainly because I wanted wings.

OK, I didn't want wings so much as I wanted to experience the way wings are served at QD's. I short, the wings come out and a very attractive Vietnamese girl, in order for cleanliness I suppose, some small finger condoms onto three fingers for you to eat with. Unfortunately, we missed the happy wing special. Next time!

Wednesday was the final day in Vietnam, and I didn't so much need to be touristy as needed to get some final items. A trip to Saigon Square market yielded a new iPhone cover (mind has stretched to the point it continually falls off) and a "Murse". I decided, copying from Joe, that perhaps a shoulder bag, sort of a messenger bag, would be a better idea for traveling with than a backpack. With the ability to keep the bag either tucked under an arm or in front of you, it makes it harder for would be thieves to snake a hand into a pocket and liberate your camera or phone or money or worse. So, we found a fairly nice leatherish (not sure if it's real) one that grace set about haggling over. She's become a real pro at this. SO an iPhone case that runs about $30 in the US we got for about $3, and the bag came in around $15. After that, a walk over for Barbecue (this time from a place owned by a Texan) and then to Ben Thanh market for a couple other items. Then home.

That night grace took us out to a small Vietnamese restaurant for my final meal in town. I don't remember the name of the place, and this was the first time in country where the serve could be improved (we order sauteed okra and got instead sauteed cactus... ironically I liked the cactus better). The food was delicious, and there was a little courtyard with a pond we kept hoping some one would fall into, no such luck. Afterward, we met up with some of the Mekong group at Casbah, a hookah bar tat overlooks Notre Dame Cathedral. Finally worn out, we adjourned back to the Lewii place.

It was decided by some one that I shouldn't sleep my last night, since I had to depart at 4 AM for the airport. It almost worked, but I stole a hour nap before sneaking out in the middle of the night. Once at the airport, it was your standard scene. Though, I tend to forge that a box becomes the primary type of luggage in much of the world, and people were oaded down for the trip to Hong Kong and on to the US. I had specifically chose a seat online for the flight home, and was informed that seat wasn't available when I checked in but we have a emergency exit row seat for you. A middle seat. Any window seats? "no, only in premium economy". What happened to my reserved seat (last row on the left, where the fuselage narrows and the seats go from 3 against the wall to 2, with a few extra inches between the wall you can stretch out)? "Not available".. but I can see the boarding pass you have printed with that seat on it... no budging. Fine, it's only an hour and half flight.

When I made it to the gate, I checked with the agent there.. and yes my requested seat was still unavailable, but the one on the other side of the plane was still open. I'll take it.. "You no want emergency exit seat... more leg room?" No! After an hour delay, I settled into 60J and started to nap.

Once in Hong Kong, I had planned a meet up with Ryan. he was there "working" and I had a 9 hour layover... I thought lunch was in order. Plus he was kind enough to allow me to store my bags and grab a shower before leaving. We went for lunch (Chinese of course) and some restaurant near the hotel where not a single "round eye" was to be found. It was really good of course. Then down to the harbour (on the Kowloon side), and we sat and talked of vacation plans (He's going to Thailand in February) and people watched. Then it was time to go. I met the crew in the hotel lobby (World and UPS use the same crew hotel) and off to the airport with them. After the usual annoyance of getting through customs and and security in Hong Kong (I don't have a ticket, I'm a crew member, but not in uniform... ugh!), I made it through. We powered up and got out on time and headed to take off on 25R, and homeward bound again.

The upside, I was the only jumpseater on the flight from HKG to ANC, and the captain offered unrestricted use of one of the bunks. Score!!! Since I've had about 3 hours of sleep in the last 36 hours, I as going to put it to good use. After take off, I ate through my tuna fish sandwich tray (HKG caters great tuna fish sandwiches if they'd only leave the tomatoes off) and by the time we were up to 35,000 ft I was in PJs and out like a like.

I woke up about 8 hours later over an ice covered Bering Sea. I cooked up a meal, changed back in to my khakis and watched the landing formt he jumpseat in the cockpit.

After a couple hours sit in ANC, it was back on an MD-11 to Louisville. I was fairly well reasted, and I don't really like the bunks on the MD (it's like a coffin) so I settled into a seat and watched a couple movies. The flight was great until the landing, where we bounced into Louisville. And hopefully, those of you who continue to ask if I sit on the boxes, this will give you an idea of the seats I have to "endure", at least on the long hauls. The smaller planes aren't nearly as luxurious, but the price is right.

So now, this voyage has ended. It was a grand time and as always enlightening. This is the end of the narrative part of the blogs. The next one will be more of thoughts and impressions... be afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment