Saturday, January 29, 2011

Same old place, same old city... what can I do?

My friend and blogging inspiration Grace always writes well constructed, typographically correct musings that both entertain and make me ponder some of the realities around me. I strive one day to write blog entries that seem to have a coherent flow and be proofread. However, that day is not today.

SO let the random and poorly typed thoughts flow...

I'm just back from a trip to Atlanta, for a nice break in the Louisville grey, both colors and moods. So, it was a fitting send off Wednesday morning that Mother Nature decided to drop a few inches of snow on town, in a rather unannounced fashion. By "unannounced," I mean the the weather prognosticators totally blew it. Apparently, the "models" had predicted the snow to pass south of us. These models, which I can only guess are blonde, were off by a few hundred miles. And thus I was scraping an inch and half of snow of my car at 6 AM. To make matters worse, the city/county/state all bought the weather peoples solid claims of "trace" accumulation and left the salt trucks in the sheds. A slippery slushy ride to the airport followed. I will say, for a southern bred boy, I'm doing fairly well with this snow driving.

After a long de-ice, we headed south to the land of cotton. A few days of above freezing, sunny days followed. As usual, I had a full calendar of social activities planned. Well, not full. This time I sort of took things as they come, not planning too many rendezvous ahead of time, and just kind of went where my rental car took me. And it took me mostly to places of an old familiarity. One of the establishments that I dragged friends to is a small hole in a shopping center facade known as the Righteous Room. When I was a resident of the Highlands of Atlanta, this was a favorite spot to stop for a beer and a bite to eat. The menu was limited, btu everything on it was delicious. As evidence, I point to the Right On! Quesadilla... a construct of spinach, onion, feta cheese, and (now) cheddar cheese, with a choice of grilled chicken or hummus. Add the side of garlic sour cream to top it off. Yum! I lived about 100 yards from this place for a year between 2003-2004. During those days, I had no shortage of couch surfers given my proximity to the Highlands entertainment establishments. Some how I made way less money in those days but seemingly had way more fun.

I also had the luck to spend a lunch with my longtime pal Maggie (also a blogger of high caliber) and her little one, Jack. As usual, we had fun catching up and it as nice to see baby Jack looking so well, as he has had medical issues since birth, and that he's with us today, bouncy and dribbling, is nothing short of amazing. Of course, he gets a strong will from his mother.

I don't know why my friends with babies seem to want to get me in on that whole thing, always trying to get me to hold them and such. Perhaps, they want to inspire some dormant paternal gene and get me to settle down and spawn some children (which I think is just so they can have some one to share misery of sleepless nights and poopy diapers). Or, which I think is more likely, the want some one to take the kid of their hands for a short time so they can hav a moment of not carrying or support the child. I guess they assume that I am reasonably coordinated enough of an adult to not drop their child. I'm not so sure. Of course, it helps that most infants and I generally relate on the same maturity level... and we have the same affinity for nice breasts. if for different reasons.

Anyways, Maggie and Jack were a delight to see, and I'm happy to see both doing very well.

Friday night, I was graced with a unexpected visit from the Chicago family, and I drug K8lyn out to spend some time upstairs and to the left with Kristen (not K8's sister) and Christine. I was actually kind of aggravated with Kristen and Christine in not including me in their plans to get early afternoon shots, until they explained that these shots had nothing to do with Grey Goose, Patron, or Jameson. Apparently some people get immunized before visiting less developed nations. I should look into that.

On the subject of less developed nation visitations, my month off is rapidly approaching. And I thought I had a good plan for the time off. Which, to be clear, this is not paid vacation. I get a lot of comments from people that seem to be in the "do you ever work??" genre. In the past I try to explain how my schedule works, but I think for future inquiries, I'm just going to say no. And why not?? I think we as American's can all use a little more time off. It's a proven statistic that 46% percent of Americans forgo vacation time to work more. It's also a proven fact that 73% of all statistics are made up. So my new answer to the question of "do you ever work?" will be no, and you should look into trying it yourself. I took this past Wednesday off, partly to go to ATL early, but mostly because I could. Seems that some people think you need some kind of stellar reason to take a day off work. I think "because I could" is more than reasonable.

OK, so back to the March trip, currently in limbo pending some further developments. Hopefully the next week will bring some movement in that area, and my march trip will mostly involve a moving truck. Everyone collectively keep your fingers crossed.

ALong those lines, I did some neighborhood scopage in ATL for potential residences. I have decided that should I move back to Atlanta, or even if I don't just buy a "weekend" place and commute, that want to live in a more metropolitan area then say Stockbridge or NewNan. The market there has been flooded with foreclosures and short sales, so the prices are way reasonable for an nice place in the city. but what part of the city? That's what I was wrestling with on Friday. yeah, there's Midtown and Buckhead, with their chic and fashionable dining, clubs, and bars. But I'm neither chis nor fashionable. SO, maybe something more laid back and "come as you are", like back to the Highlands or out to Decatur. But do I want the fringe dwellers surrounding me when I want to be chic and fashionable and sport my faux-hawk in the club?? Hrrrmmm (cause it happens).

At any rate, I left town today on a brilliant sunny day of 60 degrees. Wait, according to my all knowing iPhone, it's actually 70 in ATL at the moment. And here in Louisville, it's topping at 55 (though the forecast high was 48.. again, FAIL to the weatehr people). It's hard to leave that warmth. But even today, back in the ville it was nice enough to only don a couple long sleeve T and a windbreaker for a walk outside. Mother Nature, being the teasing bitch she is, will surely be throwing more snow upon us in short order after this sample of spring.

Again, maybe March will bring some big changes.

That's all for now, time to head back home. I'm feeling, after three late nights out, it may be a couch and DVD night. Maybe....

No comments:

Post a Comment