Wednesday, January 13, 2010

They're crossing their fingers, they pay the truth makers, the balance sheet is breaking up the sky

You know what bugs me? People telling me how lucky I am to have a job. And it's usually management types or people much higher on the seniority list. It's such a bad thought to purvey. I mean, yes some people are lucky to have a job based on their skill set (and usually they are the same people who are telling me I'm lucky to work here). I'm not lucky to have a job, I worked pretty damn hard over the last decade or so to have my job. You're lucky to have me working here. That may sound a little arrogant, and I'll admit I do have a bit of an ego when it comes to what I do... but it's not completely unjustified. I'm not perfect (hence the ASAP and forthcoming letter the FAA is writing me... it's not a "hello how are you? Wanna be pen pals?" letter), but I'm pretty damn good.

So quit telling me I'm lucky to be here. There's a reason you have to pay us so much to stay.

That being said, I hate that three others who are just as competent and proficient as I am, probably more so, are potentially being sent off to fend for themselves. I have every confidence they'll get snapped up by anyone hiring, but it'll come with the added frustration of relocating (for the second time in 2 years) their whole family. That sucks. I hope the efforts are fruitful for maybe mitigating the situation.

So, back to assistanting I go, and the days of being assigned projects from 4 managers and 12ish supervisors return. (Yes, I got the memo about the new cover sheets for the TPS reports). I'm pretty much over it, and have been for a while. I think stressing about it for most the month of December has kind of numbed me to the whole work situation. Or maybe its the ridiculous cold. At any rate, that's all I'm gonna say about that (very "Tao of the Gump"-ish).

Speaking of numb, how about this weather??? I think maybe we may be starting a new ice age. Yesterday it got above freezing for the first time this year I think. There's still snow littering the ground. Snow is really kind of pretty and fun when it's first falling, but after a week or so it starts looking very clumpy (at best) or black and disgusting (at worst). No one ever paints pictures of week old snow in an urban area for a reason, it's kind of depressing.

The other thing about snow is it tends to neutralize the colors of an area. Add the grey clouds, I feel I'm living in a black and white movie. The road salt covers the cars and dulls all the brilliant paint schemes, really greying them down. Makes you long for a little bit of color. Luckily today, the sky is blue, the sun is warm and glowing yellow, and the light is reflecting brilliantly of red bricks and recently uncovered green grass. I don't know how people can live in a place that's covered by snow for months on end, but I guess that explains why people who live there are rarely found inside during the warm months.

I don't know if I've mentioned it, but I have a new personal trainer. His name is Kevin and he's a ninja in his spare time. Apparently ninja-ing isn't quite paying the bills so he takes this personal training job to supplement his income. He's different from my last trainer (who was promoted and moved to another location) in both personality and technique. It's different, but still painful and fun. I think I may be a bit of a masochist these days, which works since he seems to be a bit of a sadist. We have a good non-sexual S&M relationship. (Yes I had this same conversation while he had me standing on one hand, doing a push up, with my left leg was parallel to the ground and the right leg perpendicular, a 100lbs weight strapped to each ankle, as I tried to lift the the weight across the gym with my mind). Eight months to go.

I'm embarking on an exploration of new music. Of late all I've been listening to is DMB with U2 accompaniment. Not that those aren't both fantastic bands, but I think I need to branch out some these days. The idea came from picking up my first copy of Paste magazine. Having met the editor on a recent trip to Atlanta, and having a fun night and interesting conversation over his homemade Limoncello sort of made me want to check out the publication. It is good reading, and I've got the music sampler playing in my ear. There's a few on here I like and may be looking to explore more of their work. If you haven't heard of Paste (like me before meeting the editor), check them out.

Now if I can only fun into the editor of Playboy or Maxim somewhere, maybe I could meet some of the models... who seemingly want some one who can make them laugh. I can be that guy! That's it I'm done. I'm gonna star out the window an long for Spring before hiking back home through the cold. At least it's above freezing out today.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, week old snow is disgusting. I don't really know why people like snow anyway...

    I'll have to check out that sampler list.

    I'm sorry you have to be an assistant again. I hope that weekends off makes up for some of the pain it will cause you.

    ReplyDelete