Sunday, January 3, 2010

I still have it better than most can dream.

Happy New Year!

And while we all know that it's not officially a new decade, I'm going to pretend it is. If only because I like starting things on nice multiples of '10'. So, happy new decade. I was thinking earlier today that instead of doing the inevitable looking back and analyzing the past year, it'd be more fun to go all the way back to the beginning of the last decade (or at least what I'm going to pretend is the beginning). But thinking about it, I don't really remember everything, so... Just gonna hit some of the highlights. Incidentally, who remembers all the big hoopla of the Y2K bug??? Possibly the biggest non-event ever.

So here we go... Ushered in 2000 in Montgomery, AL, at Big Dave Bryan's house with Scott, Chad, Jennie, and others I don't quite remember. Still great friends. 2 days later, left on my first expedition down under (10 years ago today). Discovered VB and winter sun. Came home... worked. We elected (maybe) G.W. Bush the first time. Occasional GT classes. Summer Sunday afternoons at Fellini's. Heart broken. Happy 2001 by the harbour in Sydney,Australia... The Mercantile Hotel!! Mended the heart. Jumped off a 150 ft tower with a rubber cord around my ankles.. 3 times. Snorkeled the Great Barrier Reef. Got a dispatcher license. Was woke up by a phone call and turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane hit... the world changed in an instant. WAR!! Sex scandal at FedEx ATL. Saw U2. New Job at Transmeridian. Met Ed, best boss ever, Charles, and Chandra... New Orleans!!! Angel and Bourbon street balcony love. Desert Storm part 2!!! Met Grace (in person). NYC Partying!! World Airways here i come. VEGAS!!! Ireland!!! Started my own harem. A came back. Life in the VA Highlands! Moved to AMLI. Met Jersey... BFF! Sunny afternoons Delta Wife watching in PTC. GW Bush redux. Goodbye Jamie K, gone too soon... love ya Shelley. Daytona Bike Week! Hand house painting. Hooker Dees and Trick Livermore. Taco Mac Beerslayers! Glasgow and Loch Ness. Met A2. Bahrain and Qatar. Saw DMB a lot... 3 days on the Gorge with Marianne! Saw U2 again.. live in Chicago DVD with MB. Kuwait. Saw U2 again. Cologne. 29th birthday madness... Coyote Ugly!!! Back to TMA... Back to World. Summer fun at the pool. Roomies with J and Joe.. then Adam. Cruises. Back to Australia! Susan. More DMB. TanJoe Manor parties. Love. Bye bye World, Hello Brown. Lived in SDF, BHM, and ATL simultaneously. Obama in office. Recession!!! Vegas again! No more love. Australia round 4. Trade in the Honda... it got me through a decade. AROUND THE WORLD... Dubai, Hong Kong, Macau! Stressing... furlough??? Still got Grace, J, Tanjoe, Scott, Chad, Jennie, Chandra, Jersey... so many great friends! Mom moved... "home" is going away :-(. Lost over a decades worth of weight. Brick Store night... Moving on, getting over it.. It's gonna be a good new year!!!!

I think that just about covers it. Well, not really. There's so much more with so many people it's astounding. A lot of the memories are a little fuzzy. There's been ups and downs. I think the ups have out numbered the downs by far (why does that remind me of the song from Disney's Robin Hood?). For my new years resolution... I want to see more of the people that mean a lot to me. The last 10 years of living, working, traveling, and unraveling have made it tough to see them all. Coming soon to a couch in your house... me!

No comments:

Post a Comment