Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Breathing in Bogota

Bogota, Colombia

Didn't spend much time here, but my little foray out today was amusing. Once again, the was a conversation with a taxi driver where I think we both got about 50% of the gist. I did learn that he likes café con leche better than negró and while he thinks the women here are beautiful (they are) he thinks those in Cali are even hotter (not his words).

The Lonely Planet says the country has made drastic improvements as far as crime and random kidnappings of foreign nationals over the last few years. And while I briefly thought about a trip to the main plaza, sleep and lunch by the hotel seemed a better idea. I did manage to venture around two different malls while here, and other than the difference in pricing and language, I could have been in at US mall.

The drive around didn't seem too harrowing really, the area seemed very suburban and middle class. That being said, private security seems to be the largest job sector here. The large mall across from the hotel , Unicentro, had multiple guards at each entrance to the parking lots with handheld metal detectors. I only saw them stop one person and I'm not sure why. After getting past the gates, there's another layer, albeit less numerous, of guards at the actual doors. And of course, roaming patrols inside. Seems like the utmost in safe shopping experiences are expected.

The hotel has similar measures in place, with dogs and men with mirrors checking every vehicle going into the parking deck. Once inside, the lobby is patrolled by three (that I saw) guards with the small earbuds, as if El Presidente was expected to arrive at any moment. Ironically, this isnt the most draconian security I've seen at a hotel, that goes to the Kuwait Hilton or the JW Marriott there, the latter complete with a Hummer mounted machine gun at the driveway entrance.

Still, Bogota may get a repeat visit someday. I've gotten past the lightheadness of the altitude (8600 feet above sea level) and have seem to have lost the dizziness. I think it may have been the beers I had with lunch that helped. That stuff is a miracle drug. There is a restaurant/sports bar next door simply named BEER. They have a wall that was wallpapered simply with different coasters from different brands. I found some inspiration in that idea and may replicate it someday.

I didn't feel threatened at any point personally, no more than any other city in the world. So, that's about it from Bogota. It's about time to head back to the airport for the last legs to MIA and then SDF. I'll post some stuff about the rest of the South America Excursion when I get home. Until then, hasta!

No comments:

Post a Comment