Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"Welcome to the real world" she said to me, condescendingly. Take a seat,

Coming back from vacation sucks. It can't be helped. The stepping back into the life you left behind can be painful. In my case, pain is caused by an unhappy stomach and lack of sleep. Today I go back to work, if I can find the office. I'm not terribly excited at this prospect.

In other mundane news, I returned home to a non functioning dryer. Luckily before leaving HCMC Grace was nice enough to lend me laundry space, so most my clothes were clean. Of course, it's not really shorts and t-shirt weather here, but it's nice to have a supply of clean underwear. The landlords promise a new dryer by Wednesday. So the mountain of clothes continues growing in my bedroom. It's not improving the cluttered, disheveled state of my apartment. No one broke in and cleaned while I was away like I hoped.

Also, I've returned to bare cupboards. My fridge was void of food (well food that belongs to me and not my roommate). There's even a lack of beer. I managed to eat myself out of sustenance before leaving, which was planned. I however haven't felt the need to remedy that since getting home.

This morning however, it was time. Off to Kroger I went. As my jeans are tightening in a way that's not flattering, it's time to get back on my diet and return to eating healthier. And that doesn't apparent involve buffalo wings or pommes frites with vinegar mayo.

One of the pluses of traveling to the places I've been to the change back to more processed and, for lack of a better term, "factory grown" food. You know the kind, steroid injected chicken and heavily chemicalized fruits. I suppose it's luckily that in the midst of the winter I can still find "fresh" mangoes, but it's not the same as having them pulled from the tree and made into a shake ( more like a smoothie) or seeing the fields of pineapples where a fresh one can be pulled and cut right in front of me. March, the barista at the new coffee place that popped up across the street while I was away, has the life goal of drinking from a coconut. I assume she has other life goals, but this one was mentioned after we talked about my trip and mentioned while in Mui Ne being able to pull a coconut from the tree, cut it open, and insert a straw. I mentioned she should work to make that goal a reality, and it should really happen on a beach for the full effect.

Even though we get "fresh" fruit at the local grocery store, it just doesn't taste as fresh as when you can see it on the tree.

Now, I'm trying to get back into the grind. Reluctantly. My mind is putting up a formidable resistance. Tonight, my first night in a month and half working a desk, should be a challenge. I'm sure there's been a litany of new procedures I'll need to deal wih that have been added in my absence, and they'll most likely just add to my aggravation.

On my mind of late is sort of "now what"? Since the move back to Atlanta is seemingly not in the cards for my future, what do I want to do with my life. Still not sure I'm cut out for life in Kentucky forever, but do I want to do a commute? And my plans to purchase a home have been tossed into a whirl of indecision... Should I just give in and settle here or keep looking for somewhere else... Or buy in ATL?

On the other hand, one of my regular bartenders and pals in the Louisville area was happy that I'd still be around and believes that it must be for a bigger, better opportunity to find me. We'll see.

For the short term, it's going to be business as usual. And it truly could be so much worse. I'm ready for another vacation, well I will be once my laundry is done. Maybe the next one will be more permanent, I could be one of those societal drop outs that forever inhabit a beach in a third world country, where winter, careers, and family drama doesn't seem to reach. Idyllic maybe, a dream definitely. But it's such dreams that makes dragging into a office and enduring harsh winters more palatable.

At least until I can run away and live the dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment