Friday, May 14, 2010

The un-American should really stop complaining, He oughta take a trip to Disney, Get his head on right

I wonder if one can track the "coolness" of a neighborhood by the types of electronics that are used most in the local coffee shop? Or, as the sign above the door says, "microroastery and espresso bar". This is not my normal one, I went 2 blocks the other way this time. But, I'm the only Mac user in here at the moment. There are six visible laptops, and all are PC except mine. Of course, I'm not sure if I should count the older gentleman (with the long, full beard and matching hair) who has his laptop hooked up to display the x-box 360 output that he also brought with him. Occasionally he jolts up or leans to the side with controller in hand.

I suppose (or hope) he's playing in a multiplayer game online, otherwise he's just talking to himself though the headphones/mic.

At any rate being the only Mac user makes me way cooler than the rest of the people here. The other "microroastery and espresso bar" I frequent, has the inverse proportion usually. So 2 blocks is way more hipper than 3 blocks south. Too bad this one has more power outlets.

I usually don't take requests for blog subjects, I think mainly because no one ever has made a request or even a suggestion. But I have one this time, and it's a subject that has been annoying me for a while... Credit Cards.

Yes, in the true new American way, we are no longer constrained by our income in quest to obtain the material things we, as a people, are convinced we want. No, we need! Because, if we don't spend, the economy will tank, people will be out of work, babies will starve, the terrorists will win, and cats and dogs will be forced to live together.

I'm probably one of the guiltiest among us. I've been working on paying off my 20's. It looks like that was a hell of a party judging from the bills. And I had a lot of fun. I wish I had been more responsible. I was amazingly responsible for the early years, but the later changing jobs, moving, taking pay cuts years really did me in. SO I pay for it now.

But, how should you go about repairing this situation? If you pay off the cards, the banks cut your credit rating (apparently I've been told it's bad for you to not carry a balance, as long as it's small???). Then they cut down you limits at random, so if you NEED to make a big purchase you can't. But wait, if you carry a high balance, they raise your limit so you can buy more?? It also raises your credit score so you can be given even more rope to hang yourself with!

Then, as happened to me recently, they come out and say "we've re-analyzed your financial status and decided to close your account effective...". That doesn't bother me so much since I don't use that one so much, but have been working on paying it down. What get's me a little angry is the same bank (who we'll call Big CitiBanker to protect their identity) sends a "You've been pre-approved for a Visa" letter. Only, the interest rate is a little higher. So, you closed my account (that's never been late or in collection in 15 years) and offer me a new one with a higher rate.

Assholes!

But I suppose we have to be in debt as a society. If not, if you didn't have a house payment, a car payment, 3 Visa's, an AmEx, A Sears card, a gas card, and a Victoria's Secret card with a balance on it, why would you get up and go to work? Why would you suffer the torture of a crap job that pays you decently so you can charge the new fridge or take that trip to Disney?? Because, if you don't buy a new car or a take the trip to see the mouse, we won't be able to keep some one else in a barely-paying-enough-to-keep-their-head-above-the-debt level job. And more importantly, we won't have the money to pay millions for CEO's and to government officials to keep it going.

That may be a bit extreme, almost marxist maybe, of a view. And in reality, I think even if I was way out of debt and living financially secure, I'd probably still have a job. You can't lounge around all day, every day (I've tried). But the job would be more like hobby, when it got old I'd find something new to do. But as it stands, most of America works as indentured servants.

I should ask Congress for a bail-out. I wonder how much i would take to set everyone in the country to a $0 balance on their credit cards (not cars or houses, just cards)? I have a feeling we've already given that much away to banks.

Just a thought. I'm still pondering going out and buying a new MacBook Pro and/or iPad... on credit of course :-)

Now for lighter fare. I have the day off unexpectedly. The short story for the non-brownie types, a "manager" (and i use that term loosely) wanted to work the desk I was assigned in an attempt to remain proficient. So, I think I'm off to spend some time in a bookstore and then chill for the day. I'm working on saving some cash for a Sin City expedition. I've officially been cleared for Thursday night off and made arrangements to have a place to crash (thanx to a coworker). ANd I got this hottie that's going to donate some time. It's gonna be a great weekend! I just got to get through the next couple weeks.

And now, I'm going to start working and budgeting for a trip in July, I'm thinking maybe Roma and then a ferry trip to Tunis. Or maybe Southern Spain and ferry trip to Morocco. That's a reason for some of the book store trips, otherwise (Christine) I pick up random books and read them. I'm not really reading anything specific right now.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment