Saturday, February 27, 2010

We're the dream and fate's trying to be the plow, You got to fight with all the light in your skull

Ever wake up and just be in a foul mood?? The proverbial getting up on the wrong side of the bed day. That's today. I don't know what it is. I'm not sure why. I slept in, well tried to as best as I could. But a couple phone calls woke me. I of course answered neither. I can forgive mom for calling, but I'm tired of Urban Active calling to remind me it's time to renew my membership. Especially since I already have. I also made the unconscious decision to skip the union meeting today by sleeping straight through. I'm not sure who's convenience they're scheduling those things for, but considering the 10 or so people in recurrent, the 4 afternoon guys, the 4 day shift guys, and the midnight guys who would have to interrupt their sleep schedule to make it.. I'm thinking it's some one other than 50% of the group. But what do I know. I figured they wouldn't say anything that would help my mood. Where sleep does improve my moods.

Thinking it would help sweat the blah out, I took off for the gym. That didn't go as well as hoped. The 40 car line to get off the interstate coupled with the ridiculousness of traffic in front of the gym just added to the aggravation and sucked out what motivation I had.

Maybe it's the weather. There's this thing called S.A.D., or Seasonal affective disorder. I'm hereby diagnosing myself as a SAD sufferer. It's what people used to call the "blues" that brought people down during cold, dark winters. This winter here in Louisville has really been a drag. I think we've had 5 days of descent weather since November. Throw in the copious amounts of snow, it's just been kind blah. Lots of grey days. Again this morning, I drove home in snow. On the upside it was all gone by the time I woke up.

So, I'm trying to spend time focusing on good things. This week I made it to see a free Barenaked Ladies show at the Hard Rock Cafe here. That's was neat to be in a small venue like that. They only played 5 songs or so, but it was free so i suppose I shouldn't complain. Of course, afterward it started snowing again :-(. After work Tuesday I'm flying to ATL. I'm looking forward to seeing friends and family and having people to hang out with.

And after that is the big trip to Thailand. I'm kind of winging that in so much as I have no idea what I'm going to do there. I have several ideas, and most of which involve in some way a beach and riding an elephant. Though not necessarily combining the two. I guess when I get there I'll let Adam and tourist guides be my inspiration. All I basically know is when I get there, when I leave, and where I'm staying the first 4 nights. After that, we'll wing it. Now, this kind of makes me nervous in that I've always been one to plan the hell out of trips. But not knowing where to go or when exactly my travel companion is showing and leaving makes it hard to exactly plan schedules and crap. And that's fine, it's been a while since I've been fluid and wandering. I' sure I'll find something worthwhile to do, and it's pretty damn cheap over there so that helps. Maybe I'll just keep the $7/night bungalow until I run out of money and credit and then come home. That may take a couple years :-).

Of course I'd be out of a job, but I don't really feel that's a bad thing. There's nothing new on that front. The voluntary program to keep everyone employed has seemed to have fizzed out. I think it may help 1 person stay on, but after that... I'm highly doubtful. So, I'm continuing to keep my eyes open for something else. I read yesterday that Qatar Airways is hiring, I may apply just to see what's happening. Though I don't know how Doha living would suite me.

Monday will be the one year anniversary of me doing thsi whole diet/gym thing. I don't think I'm gonna make the 100 lbs mark, but I far surpassed the initial goals. So that makes me happy. I had to go out and buy new clothes this past week, again. Most of it for the trip to Thailand, but also because I have no collared shirts that fit. So $300 of so later, I have a bunch of new clothes. Next I suppose I'll need a new suit. I'm kind of waiting to get a little smaller. I've been lacking motivation lately, which I'm hoping is a result of the weather. I bought some shorts for summer that were tight-ish in hopes it'll be good motivation to keep it up. We'll see. One step at a time.

I think that's enough whining for one night. Keep posted for dispatches from Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment