Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Lost in a land of confusion, or the Czech Republic

It seems I've been neglectful of late. It's been oer a week since I wrote a blog for my loving fans to read, and I know you're all wondering what I've been doing with myself.

As much as I don't really like writing the "this is what I did and what I had for lunch" blogs, that's mostly what I've been doing of late. So why stop now. When we last spoke, I I had jsut finished my first Kentucky Derby experience. The following week was just me being trained some more. Apparently I have a lot to learn. But I have to say it's nice to be doing something besides pull a page/put a page all day. I sort of miss doing dispatch stuff and it's nice to be back in the saddle as it were. I'm still waiting to see what happens when I'm done training. The person who was supposed to quit so I can get a line has yet to do so, instead going out on disability leave. She's suppose to come back next week, but we'll see. Hopefully she will decide to move on and let me have her spot, even though it's kind of crappy hours. But oh well.

After a week of slaving away, I headed south. I flew down to Montgomery and spend some time with Susan. It's been way too long since I had seen her, and unfortunately it was way to short of a visit. Besides, she seems to need a break from her world down there. So, we spent the friday evening watching a band play on an outside patio at my hotel. The weather was close to perfect. Not very hot, a nice breeze, and the music was good. Oh, and the drinks were strong. The only thing that could have made it better would be a beach.

The next day we had breakfast and spent the day together before I was shipped off to Atlanta. Initially I had planned to accompany the lovely Jersey to a free concert in the PTC area, but the rain and general weather funk persuaded us to not go. Plus I was late. SO, we hung around to Grace got off her catering gig and decided to head out to show Isreal (Grace's Brother) some quality Atlanta fun. ANd since we neeed to live the PTC/Newnan area, but didn't much feel like venturing all the way into the ATL, we decided on Irish Bred (or th bar formerly known as B-52's). Much to our surprise, we were like strangers in a strange land. The normal airline workers meets ghetto fabulous atmosphere was not there, instead replaced by an odd atmosphere of differently dressed Caucasians, strange music, and odd smells.

The answer was that it was Czech night. As we learned via Grace, the owner of said bar is Czech, and apparently invited all his friends and imported some actual Czechs for the night. It was quite amusing. Especially as Isreal and I were serenaded by a very large, very sweaty, and slighty odoriferous Czech. It did bring back some interesting memories of my youth and clubbing in Europe. The music and dance styles back in the old countries are significantly different than those of the Dirty Dirty.

So, the adventure turned out much more interesting than any of us imagined. It was good to see Isreal again, on his temporary visit to the US. And we were even graced by Adam's presence. The first time we had been able to get together since the PTC party pad was disbanded. A good tie was had by all, especially the Czechers.

Sunday, My host and I decided to venture out for lunch. We initially planned to trek to Newnan, but some how ended up at Neighbors in the Highlands. It was really nice out, and we enjoyed the patio seating and breeze (by breeze i mean gusty wind that had Jersey convinced the tree was about to be blown over on us). J met us there after he got off work and we enjoyed the sun for a while. We all decided that the Highlands are much more interesting and fun than PTC and we should spend more time there. Unfortunately I live in a different Highlands in a different state.

Monday, I spent time with Grace and Amie, first discussing the intricacies of wax over Starbuck's, and followed by a retail adventure to Ross, where my keen fashion sense was put to the test. Then a quick light home on a Big Brown Jet and I was back in the ville. I made it home just in time to get a couple hours sleep and then head to work. I am convinced the idea of a 4 AM start time for work was the product of some sadist with a horrible sense of math. No one should have to start work at that time of day.

So, this week it's back to training. And other than the horrible shift, it's not so bad. I do get a bonus this weekend with the visit of Grace, TanJoe, and possibly Amie. And then we're going to tear up this town. I'm trying to convince Susan that she should just blow off all this end of school year work and finding a new job crap and fly up. I'm not what you call a positive influence on people's sense of responsibility. Though if she did come up, it could be awkward with my mistress and man crush all being in the same apartment. I would be worn out.

I think it's time to make something for dinner and maybe get another nap in before work. I managed to assemble my vacuum (and it worked) and do some cleaning in preparation for guests. I've also given in to peer pressure and set up a facebook account. Everyone is welcome to drop by and say hi. I don;t think I'll keep it as picturesque and fun as my Myspace, but I have found a couple people who I haven;t heard from in years on there. So I suppose its all worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment