Wednesday, April 18, 2012

There's this one particular harbor, So far but yet so near


Sometimes you look at the world and just have a feeling you don't fit in.  Having been a nerd or "band geek" most my life I'm some what used to not being part of the "in" crowd.  Luckily I can have the smugness that the old "in" crowd is all saddled with debt and life and will never see the Southern hemisphere.  Truly, living well is the best revenge. 

But that's not what's on my mind at the moment.  Let me set the moment, there's a beach.  There's an ocean. There's palm trees.  There's leaves rustling in the sea breeze.  There's an amazing array of stars to be charted.  I did learn that you can see the Southern Cross from the northern hemisphere tonight.  Thanks to an iPhone app, Star Gazer, I've become quite the stellar cartographer.

Anyways, back to the out of time, out of place feeling.  I recently finished yet another book on aviation's early days.  When the world was way bigger than it is today.  When you could trudge off to an island in the Caribbean and be a million miles away from anything.  Unfortunately that's not so true anymore.  But that sort of lifestyle really appeals to me, the days of an imperialistic mindset.  Maybe British (with their sea power of the late 1800s) or American (with their reach in the early 20th century). The ability to be off and away from the reaches of convention, or at least the constraint of constant contact with the world. 

That being said I'm lost without my iPhone at my side.  And even here, on a small bay in the Caribbean without internet access, I'm stressed.  How did it become so imperative that I be in touch with everyone.  How did the world operate at the speed of mail sent by a ship?  It seems like something I'd be up for experiencing. 

So my current fantasy involves a live shortly before WW2, living ob the edge of America...  Crossing oceans on those newly launched "flying boats". Experiencing the unheard of "Orient" and "old countries". I'm sure I'm romantizing things, but it sounds great. 

At any rate, I'm going to continue to watch the Southern Cross float across the horizon while Jimmy Buffett sings of a time before St. Somewhere was condo development. Is there an island left where I can go and live that ideal life?  I suppose I should keep looking until I find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment