Saturday, March 26, 2011

Imagine all the people, sharing all the world...

A couple thoughts floating around in my head. After a couple days on Phu Quoc of beach sitting and motor biking, and unfortunately watching it rain, I took off back to Saigon for an short afternoon.  That night, TanJoe and I boarded a bus for the 5 hour trip to Mui Ne and meet up with the Lewii.  Amazingly, we didn't die in the drive, but I think the bus driver had an affinity for the left lane and driving into oncoming traffic, since that's where we spent most the trip.

Last night we went to dinner and had some unusual, and delicious, food. My sauteed crocodile in lemongrass and sweet chili was pretty good.  Tastes like chicken, just s little tougher to chew. 

Ok, so the small world part.  When I was in Thailand sitting on that small island known around the world for it's parties, I met a woman from Italy who was traveling around the world to kite surf St all the places that are known for such activities.  If you're not familiar with kite surfing, imagine surfing but being harnessed into a parachute size "kite". Sitting in Ko Pha-Ngan, I could see the surfers down the beach occasionally being lifted off the water and sailing 50 feet or so through the air.

So, I ended up having a conversation with the woman from Italy and kind of just being friendly.  She left the islands a day before me for Bangkok, and gave me a name and email to find her...  Which I promptly lost. 

So, I'm sitting on a beach in Mui Ne, Vietnam...  Well sitting may be the wrong word.  I was being pummeled into the sand by 6 foot waves and essentially rolled over and sand scrubbed whether liked it or not.  Good times.  When I was able to pull myself ashore I looked up on and saw some one who looked remarkably like the Italian lady from Thailand. Turns out she was staying in the same resort in the room next to me.  

She was amazed to see me here as much as I was surprised to see her.  She was leaving for Saigon that night, but this time I secured her info and turns out we may be able to meet up in Singapore in a couple days.  That's, in my mind, pretty damn cool.  

The other moment of surreality thats hit me last night was the situation of sitting in a bar in Vietnam drinking in the presence of a large group of Russians.  I have no problem with Russian people, but given I'm a child of the cold war and grew up believing the "Evil Empire" was out to destroy everything I knew, it's a bit ironic twist to life.  Add to that, we were sitting in a bar in a country that was the sight of an American defeat by the communist forces (same Evil Empire) not so long ago. I think we pulled out less that 2 years before I was born.  Suddenly the enemies are just people, and all that blustering by the leaders was just a bunch of crap. No one really wanted to destroy each other, except a few people who thought it would good for keeping their grasp on power.

Enough seriousness, it's time for dinner again.  Look for tails of sand dunes, beach BBQ, and fun with friends to come soon.  Later

No comments:

Post a Comment