Thursday, August 6, 2009

Band Geek, and proud of it!

I just got back from the DCI movie.. well, life simulcast of the quarterfinals at the movie theater. By the way, this is gonna have a lot of band geek stuff in it, be warned.

Anyways, I'm not arty or esoteric enough I think for modern drum and bugle corps. First off, I'm not a fan of synthesizers and voice overs. I like good old accoustical instruments that don't require sound boards for balance, just an ear and pointing at some one to play louder. But anyways, I guess I'm now old school drum corps, because I miss the loud, fast, and high stuff. That being said, I'm still amazed at what a bunch of kids can accomplish, and so close to perfection in music and motion. And I loved me some Vanguard!! I really dig their attitude, same with BD and their arrogance they exude... obviously would good cause.

I also have to say, I miss those drum corps chicas... great tans with strange tan lines, a lack of modesty, and especially miss the horn chicks.. always so fun to hang out with.

Then I realize I'm old... at least 10 years older than anyone on the screen. It's been 15 years since I last strapped on a shako and stood on the starting line. Hard to believe isn't it. And I still look back on those years as some of the greatest accomplishments, and greatest experiences in life. Who would have thought 14 hour rehearslas and sleeping on buses would feel so appealing. It would probably kill me now...

OK, enough if the reminiscing. The shows were all varying degrees of good, even if I thought some were kind of dull. But it happens.

Otherwise, I'm trying to get back in the groove at work. I'm not enjoying the domestic thing.. same flights to the same places... I need some variety. I'm also really struggling to get back in the groove of working out and doing the diet thing. After my 2 weeks of vacation (with a solid week of work in between them, it's hard tog et back into a groove. I'm trying not to go into burnout mode, since I have come pretty far and I wanna keep going. But I also want a cheeseburger and fries.

I did however discover this week that there's a lot of "distractions" at the gym in the late afternoon/early evening. I usually go out earlier in the day, but I may have to change my schedule. ANd I also don't understand guys who just sit on machines and really don't actually use them... well, ok, they're probably "distracted" too... but do something!

I should clean, but I should also sleep since I know I'm going to be awakened by people banging on my house in the name of "upgrades" and "repairs". They need to accommodate my sleep schedule. Other than that, just another weekend of working. I'm hoping to work it out and make it down to the Tanjoe Manor next week. I'm looking forward to that.

That's about it. Lot's of things coming up and I need to work out some days off to cover it all. Ugh! I really don't like working weekends! Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment