Monday, August 4, 2008

The wheel in the sky keeps on turning

Imagine being awoken by a phone call early Sunday (ok, maybe 1:3- pm doesn't exactly constitue early) and told you have some free concert tickets available for that night. But there's a catch, it's 430 miles away.

Yes, it can happen to you!

Grace called and informed me that Amie has 2 spare tickets to that nights Journey concert at Chastain Park Amphitheater if I was still interested. She had mentioned that they might have some a few days ago, but some how had become unavailable. Well, now they were available again.

One of the benefits of airline employment is the pleasure and ability of flying away on a whim. I personally haven't been exercising this particular ability much of late, but hey... Its Journey! So off to the airport I rushed, and with only a change of clothes in my backpack. UNfortunately, I missed the first flight. Apparently some Germans thought just because they missed their first flight they should take my seat on the next one. Damn German tourists.

But, I luckil made the next one, which should work for getting em there in time. And after resolving an seatbelt issue in the jumpseat, I was on my way.

Grace whiscked me from the airport, and informed me the concert started about 5 minutes ago. Oh well, we missed the opening band. Well turns out there are three bands touring with Journey, opening was CHeap Trick, and then Heart followed. Last on was Journey. We made it in time for Heart, and they put on a good show.

ANd they did something right, they only played their old hits. That's why we paid for these tickets (or rather why we took these free tickets). Journey kept infusing songs from their new album in. Who knew they had a new album?? Who cared?? And how do they keep finding guys who sound like Steve Perry?? The little gy had a dead ringer of the famous voice. And he was all full of bouncy energy and seemed o have a nice vertical leap.

After we left the show, it was off to southern dining's fines, the Waffle House. A little couch surfing at J's. And back to the airport the next morning. I manged to clock out of the parking deck at SDF 23 hours and 56 minutes after i parked.

Well, thats all for the most part. Though while I waited to board my return flight was inspired by a speech from Obama. He's got some good ideas, but he has some bad ones too. I supose its time to start talking politics. But not now, its time to get ready for work. Thanx to Amie and R for the free tickets! And Grace for being my "deate", an J for lending me his couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment