Sunday, August 10, 2008

I used to rule the world, seas would rise when I gave the word

OK, not long winded political banter this time. I promise. It's a lovely Sunday afternoon and I'm just waking up. I'm looking forward to doing nothing of any great seriousness today, unfortunately I have a feeling this plan is going to be ruined by hving to go to work in a couple hours! Blah

So I made an all to quick trip to BHM Friday evening. This work schedule seems to align perfectly with the flight schedules of various airlines serving BHM in a way that really minimizes the amount of time I got to spend with Susan this weekend. Luckily the work schedule is changing. But at least I got to spend a little time there, and even was lucky enough to do some work in the classroom. It's not as bad as I expected it, I think Susan tended to over exaggerate a little. I do feel bad i had to leave in the middle of the work.

In other news, I luckily got to ride ina first class seat on the way back to SDF, first time in years. And if you get the chance, fly in the front. Even on a domestic quick flight, it's just so much more relaxing. And I actually had a real glass drinking glass. I didn't think they did that anymore. I've also been making some slow progress in reading Long Way Down. And in the book, they meet random people who also feel worthwhile to trek across Africa, from a youth who decided to backpack around for a year to a guy who had decided to circle the globe using only human powered means (apparently its been 13 years since he went home).

While the idea of crossing the pacific in a boat I have to paddle (after of course roller blading across the USA) seems ludicrous and a waste of my time and energy, the cocnept of being gone from home, and the world of bills, work, and responsibility, does have a certain appeal. I'm not saying I'm up for bicycling around Africa for 8 years, but I do love so much traveling, and getting away from it all. Of course I'm not dwelling on the small issues of visas, border crossings, crappy food, and being generally alone. I tend to only think about the good parts.

The Olympics are currently underway in Beijing (or Peking as we called it during my elementary school days, you know back before my girlfriend was born). And while I don't normally get all inspried by the pure competition of sporting events, I do enjoy watching sports on TV you don't normally see. Currently I'm watching the Argentina/Australia soccer match (AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE OY OY OY). But really, beach volleyball, cycling, swimming, diving, rowing, and water polo... all something we don't get to watch often. Probably with good reason.

But more importantly, football season has returned to the US. YAY!! Something to watch on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. I mean I do enjoy never ending marathons of Mythbusters, Deadliest Catch, and VH-1's I love the 80's; I've seen them all... many times over.

I'm thinking of getting some GT tickets for a home game this fall. Probably a thursday night game in November against Miami. Hrrrmmm.. more on that as things develop.

Well I suppose ts time get ready for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment