Sunday, April 6, 2008

I’m le tired

DOes anyone remember when traveling was fun??

Rant on:

So, i’ve been spending a fair amount of time of late in various airports in the country. Mostly Louisville, Atlanta, and recentl Montgomery. I like the Montgomery airport for a couple of reasons. Its close to Susan, its very easy to navigate (through all 6 gates), and there doesn’t seem to ever be more than one plane there at a time. For the first time ever, I didn’t experience a line for the TSA checkpoint. Which for me means less public to deal with.

Now, I’d like tot hink I’m a people person. I’m fairly friendly and understanding of most individual’s plights. But I’m becoming more and more convinced that the human race, on average, is getting dumber. Let me give you an example from today.

As I waited patiently in line to attempt to get a jumpseat on a flight to Louisville, the fine ASA folks were attempting to board a flight to Columbus, GA. Now, as I stood in line for about 20 minutes, I heard agent say several times over the PA system that they were boarding this flight. And then, 3 or 4 final boarding calls, complete with calling individual passenger names, they closed the doors and sent the flight on its way. Now the plane was due out originally at 4:10 or something. Its not 4:20 or so.

Idiot number one comes up, sees the sign that says "closed," takes out his earphones, and asks when they are going to board the Columbus flight. After he is informed that the plane is gone, he gets visibly agitated asking why they never called for boarding. When the gate gate agent calmly tells him she did make several announcements, and to please check with customer service counter for them to rebook him on the later flight ( a few hours later) he gets all huffy, drops a few F-bombs about the incompetence of the airlines, and storms away.

Now, I would have thought that if you were waiting for a flight to be called, one would take out the ear buds and listen for the call. And seriously, those announcements are loud, what the hell was he listening to? And if the next plane isn’t leaving soon enough for you, well theres a van that goes 28 times a day... its Columbus, GA, not Ouagadougou (there;s a place for u to look up Grace).

So, then, after idiot number ne left, another woman approached the gate looking for the CSG flight. She looked as if she had came to the gate as fast as she could, possibly late from another flight. I can understand how that would sour ones mood. You had a tight connection and was delayed, trhough no fault of yours, and have to hoof it through the airport. Well, after arriving at the gate, for the 4:10 flight, seeing it had been delayed till 4:20 (the sign said so), proceeded to get upset that the plane left with out her.. those F&^%ing airlines, its only 4:23!!! ANd something to the effect off.. These airlines are always making me late!! It’s only 4:23, why didn;t you hold it?

Well, if they held it, you would be late. Then you would complain about that! Again, theres a van 28 times a day.

I feel for Grace, and to a lesser degree J and the latter have of TanJoe! They have to see that every day they go to work. Its been re affirmed in my mind why I don’t work in a customer service job and why I tended to gravitate to cargo.

rant off

OK, I feel better. I had a wonderful weekend with Susan! And though I didn’t get to see the PTC crowd or make it down to MCO for the wedding, the weekend was very nice.

I’m hoping this week goes better than last. Seems a few people I know had a real rough week with personal losses. Not to mention the few thousand people in the industry who lost their jobs. I can only hope the best for them, and definitely send out my deepest sympathies.

Anyways, here’s to a new week! Let’s hope its a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment