Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Who says you can't go home?

It's been a long last couple days. Back in training for a international dispatch refresher. Looks like I'm going to have a relief line this year, though the company seems to still be dragging their feet on officially signing off. But I'm training at least. I'm a little surprised at how much I've sort of let slip out of my mind over the last few months. I'm having to remember all the airport identifiers and metric conversions I once knew as natural as miles and feet. At least it's all coming back.

Otherwise, I just spent a weekend in Atlanta. This one was very nomadic and spontaneous. And discovered my ultimate nemesis to weight loss comes in the for of nachos or chips and salsa. It could be my insatiable need to gorge myself with them, or the irresistible urge to just constantly munch on them when their present. Add to that there's always a large amount of beer involved with such dishes. I'm sure that's not helpful. I did however make it to 400 on the Taco Mac list, and the waitress wanted me. We all agreed.

After getting in to Atlanta, I picked up a rental car (pleasantly surprised at how nice the Ford Fusion was) and headed to mom's house. Well, I guess it's mom's old house. She's managed to move most the furniture out. There's still couches and a TV and a other random stuff, but most of it has been relocated. There's a huge sense of emptiness. But at the time, I just wanted to sleep. SO I crashed on the couch (since all the bed's are gone).

Then I was off to meet the gang. Had a few beers with Brad, a former coworker at World and my current inside link to Delta's dispatch. brad is doing a great job reminding the Delta folks they have a interested party who's already passed their tests and was deemed more than qualified last time. They do a great job of keeping him up to date on manpower planning. It's a small glimmer of hope tog et back to ATL, but hope is a good thing.

Is pent the rest of the evening at the Holby Manor. It's always good to see the family, and they have to be some of the most gracious people (I suppose the most gracious one is Grace... not just a clever name). We watched some final four action, conversed, and caught up. After that, I was guilted into driving back to Stockbridge to meet with Darci.

We ended up at the Stockbridge Taco Mac, and I have to say what an interesting clientele. It reminds me that for the most part, all the ties I have to that town are gone. I don't think any of the old friends live there and the family has for the most part left. Even staying at the house I grew up in didn't feel like home anymore, but more like a strangers house. I ended up sleeping that night on the couch again. ANd the utter exhaustion helped with passing out. When I woke the next day, I had this urge to get out.

Not that there was anyone there harassing me with "what are you going to do with your life?" questions, but it just felt so constricting. I think I've grown out of that house, and that town. I left there almost 8 years ago (and I stayed at home for a long time) and the changes to the town have been remarkable. The demographics have completely changed, and judging from news and conversations with my cop buddy... not for the better.

Both my siblings have at one time or another moved back home after seeking out their own. Trying to put myself in that position seems like the worst thing I can imagine. Maybe not the worst (dogs that shoot bees out of their mouths are slightly more terrifying), but I feel that as a person I've far outpaced that place. Going back would be smothering. It may sound arrogant to say that I've outgrown Stockbridge and the people there. They seem kind of... small. It all reminds me of a person i used to be, some of which I didn't like and would just be happy to not be reminded of. I'm glad I got out.

Well, enough of the psychological stuff. I've got a few friends who are having some personal trials in their life. We've all been through these sort of things, well except for one who's situation has really boggled my mind and makes me want to smack her (ex)husband n the face. At any rate, it makes me happy to have a fairly drama free life (for now, it hasn't been that long since i went through some similar times). And whatever happens, I'll be the most supportive friend I can be and try to help the keep in mind that sometimes it's all working out for the best, not matter how much it sucks now.

So, a few days of work. Off to Chicago this weekend for aunt Barb's birthday party. It sound's like it'll be a big soiree, and the Chicago family (sounds a little mafia-ish) throws a good party. And another vacation week at the end of the month. Anyone wanna come up (or down) for Derby, let me know. I have space.

Now back to my currently waterless apartment. I'm taking 4 minute showers before the water in the pipes/water heater tank runs out. I'd like to thank the Louisville Water department for picking this time to do work on the pipes on my street.

At least the weather is nice! Hope everyone is doing well. Thanx to Jersey and the Tanjoe's for their hospitality over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment