Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Back to the same old place, my sweet home Chicago

I think maybe the messiness of my apartment stifles my creativity. Hence whenever I write one of these I have to be in a different environment, generally a much cleaner one. But it gives me a good reason to walk the half mile or so to the coffee shop and really get outside and enjoy the weather. It's very nice right now.

So, let's see what's been happening. I'm back to being internationally qualified dispatcher for brown. A quick week of training, which was good to get me back to thinking in meters and recall how the Chinese can be real assholes if you don't do it exactly the way they want it. OH well. I went through my check out on Friday evening. I spent the next couple days up in Chicagoland.

Most the time I feel a bit disjointed from most my family, either by circumstances, geography, or my choice. But I've always had a great time with the Chicago side. They seem to be so down to earth and real fun folks, and that's been the same since the summer visits of my youth. Imagine growing up in rural Georgia where the nearest store was miles away. Then you're transplanted into a place where you can see some of the world's tallest skyscrapers out the window and you can walk to "31 Flavors" for ice cream, without adult supervision. I think that may be the start of my predilection for urban dwelling.

The inspiration for this visit was Aunt Barb's birthday party. I'm gonna go broadcast the age, since it's rude and she can pass for much younger. But it was a great gathering. I mean, live band, open bar, right on Lake Michigan... I told you they were real fun. And it was good to see the three K's who have grown up.



Of the 4 cousins that were in attendance, I'm the oldest by a few years. I always seem to remember them as kids. Again, since I'm a bit disjointed, it's hard to believe sometimes that they may have their own kids (who may have unbelievable reached a level of hyperness that I their father could only imagine... and he was pretty damn hyper), or have finished college, or even old enough to order alcohol. It seems like just yesterday they were the annoying little kids who followed me around wanting to play with my toys. So, having shots with them seems a bit odd. But I guess we've all gotten older. Still, some of my earliest memories come from Aunt Barb's and Uncle Don's wedding. I remember a lot of people dancing around a guy with an accordion and hiding behind pews in a big church. Oh, and a punch stained tuxedo (who puts a two year old in a white tux and thinks it won't get messy?). Such went my first performance as ring bearer.

There were some personal revelations that came out in general conversation that have been making me think "what if?" a lot. Having a five hour drive across Indiana (which FYI is just as scenic in the darkness of night as it is in the full light of day, except for the giant windmills) with nothing but me and my iPhone playing music gives me time to ponder such things.

I think unlike most people out there, many decisions by others in my youth made a huge impact on my life today. I think I turned out pretty good, and I'm glad I grew up with a wonderful supportive family. But still, what if I was raised in Chicago?? Or Vegas?? Or who knows where... all were potentials. Interesting to me. Though I think I did well being a southerner... if apparently I wasn't born there. Again, none of this matters of effects the person I am today, but it's on my mind a little.

So, a big thanx to Kristin and her boyfriend for putting me, and for the Chicago Stephens' family for being great for my entire life. I hope to see them more often in the future, and since I learned that Chicago is a mere 5 hour drive away (not 8 like I thought) I may skip in more often.

In addition to the visit with the family, I also met a good friend in downtown for lunch. There's a phenomena that happens in the north when spring comes, everyone is outside. After spending months in darkness and bitter cold, throw out some sunshine and warmth and people come out in droves. And the city itself seems a lot nicer and cleaner than I remember from the past. Maybe I was just in different parts of town this time.

SO this week is in progress. I'm staying in Louisville in hopes maybe the mess in my apartment will straighten itself out. Or I'll break down and declutter my room. I'm working this weekend, off a couple days, the I have a week off at the end of the month (I'm sure this isn't helping the impression people have that I'm off work ALL the time). I'll be down in Georgia, probably staying at the TanJoe manor to keep the cats company for most the week. Maybe I should throw a party. Right now it's back to Louisville for Derby weekend, but that's still up in the air depending on if I'll have company. I need to find an easy way to post my work schedule online so people can see it, since it's different from month to month now. Any ideas??

I think that's it for now, i'm off to sit out in the sunshine and get some reading in. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment