Friday, March 14, 2008

This way became my journey, this day ends together, far and away

A brief synopsis of the last few days. In a word, wonderful!! Having Susan up here has been great, and we’ve had a nice vacation in the Louisville area. Some of the highlights:

We stopped a comedy club, which is apparently a few blocks away, and of course we were sat fairl close to the front. As we were late arrivals, there was little choice. It was great and very funny. The headliner was some one (Jim McCall) who hs been on TV. Nice. And I was called out and ased various questions, and of course, I blew it.

However earlier in the day, we experienced some local culture at the Frazier International History Museum. Which is some what of a misnomer. It should be called the Frazier Armory. It was essentially a history of weaponry. Still very neat, and there was an exhibit from the Henrietta Marie, a sunken slave ship. Very dark time in history, and it was very interesting to see.

After that, we took a walk across the street, and learned the history and intricacies of baseball bat production. Apparently, they make Louisville Slugger bats here in Louisville. So it’s not just a clever name after all! Now i’m not much of a hero worship kind of guy, but I was kind of giddy about touching the source bats for Andruw Jones and Jeff Francour (The source bat is the the bat the players specified, and all the other bats they order are lathed from that model). There were a few others there, but those are the ones I remember.

Today, Susan and I ventured out toward Lexington. We toured the Woodford Reserve Bourbon Distillery. We all know what a fan of whiskey (or in the case of Scotch, Whisky) I am, and it was very interesting to see the step by step production of a bourbon, even discovering what is required for a whiskey to be called, by law, ’bourbon’. And the distillery itself is located down some back roads that wind through some thoroughbred farms. I half think that was the best part for Susan, stopping and watching the foals run in the pastures.

After the distillery tour, capped with a sample shot of the product, we headed to the Kentucky Horse Park. This was of course all Susan’s expedition. It;s the off season there, but there were lots of animals for seeing and petting. And I honestly wouldn’t mind goin to see some more there. Could be fun.

Unfortunately, tomorrow is the beginning of the end. We’re heading out to the ATL, and return to check the apartment for the remains of the year there. And clean sme I think.

Of course, I won’t be seeing Grace since she ditched me for a free trip to PVR. But I’ll spend some time with my BFF and probably aggrevate Ryan at some point. (That’s Ryan’s gratuitous mention, it does wonders for his slouching self esteem if he thinks others are interested in him).

I have to say, Louisville isn’t all bad, and I hope everyone comes up to visit, maybe a party is in order during the summer. Or derby time!

No comments:

Post a Comment