Friday, March 11, 2011

Just Beachy

m finally in a mood that I'd consider almost good. I'm really surprised that everyone in my "resort" seems to have a net book, laptop, or some other device for tracking the world. So much for the places where you can get away from it all. Maybe they're still out there but no one wants to find them anymore.

So after my short time in KL and even shorter time in Singapore I'm happy to be back in Thailand. So most cost effective, though I'm kind of reminded this little "toy" I'm typing on costs more than the average person here makes in a year.

So I went cheap this time, a small bungalow with no AC, no hot water, and really white minimalist. I dig it. It's like trying to get back to simplicity. In 3 days I'll be screaming for air con probably, but oh well. I haven't had a "hot" shower since I got here, why start now. Amusingly, the shower is outdoors. Roughing it!

I dig how it's totally normal to just show up on the islands and hope there's something available for sleeping. Invariably there always is. Except maybe next weekend here.

This weekend is apparently the Half Moon festival. Which is only a prelude to the Full Moon party that backpackers made (in)famous with drunken revelry. If you have ever sean the Leonardo DiCapprio movie "The Beach", then you say the huge party scene. Allegedly a full moon party. In my old age, I think maybe half moon will suffice. Though I did feel significantly older than anyone else on the ferry coming over. They all seemed so young and fit and full of life. Lately I've felt the exact opposite. But there's nothing like a mile long beach and a large quantity of use cold beer to change ones attitude,

I initially had plans to stay for about 3 days. Im already rethinking that. Last time I spent 4 days on a island in Thailand, I left after 7. It's easy to do. I may have to change islands, but I can handle that.

The big thing is learning how to relax. Keep in mind I have a pretty leisurely life as it is, but I always want to be doing something, especially on vacation. Stopping to sit and do nothing is so hard. That's a project for the next few days. Me, a beer, a beach, and a book or two. Sounds like a plan.

So. I'm not gong to bore anyone with the logistics of getting here. But it's already worth it. Something about surf makes me feel better. Even if it's forecast to be cloudy and rainy off an on for the next few days. I'll manage. It could be worse, I could be in Louisville. After all the stressing about life changes and tempting thoughts of just canceling this whole thing, I'm really starting to feel better about it all. Now to go work on the 3 day(minimum) buzz.

No comments:

Post a Comment