Thursday, March 31, 2011

Down at the crossroads..

Something about long airplane rides always make me contemplate life. Could be the lack of really anything else to do, especially flying freight. Then again, it could be watching the lives coming and going while sitting here. Currently at Hong Kong Int'l, where it's a cross roads of the world as far as aviation. Being a plane junky, or aerosexual, it's exciting to see all the new and varied tails and color schemes lined up. While Cathay Pacific dominates the landscape with it's grey/blue-white fuselages and green tails, there's also the bright yellow of Royal Brunei (Trivia: who knows where Brunei is?) and stylized Union Jack of British Airways mixed in. The red tail of Qantas with the giant white Kangaroo just passed behind a terminal building, giving the impression of a colossal 'roo hopping across the top of the building.

There's the dark blue of Vietnam airlines parked beside the baby blue of Korean ( sorry Grace, looks like it's only an A330 today, not you boyfriend). Immediately in front of me is the worlds largest airlines, a Singapore A380. Which I assume is taking the 3.5 hour flig to Singapore. Seems like a lot of plane for a short trip. No RJs or propellers here, only large sleek jets. I love Hong Kong,

I was thinking the other night if there was any job I could be happy in, especially outside the aviation industry. Judging by my exuberance for random airlines and globe trotting ways, I don't see any options. And as my plan, or really goal, for a new job seems to be foiled by either poor interview skills or an abundance of experience that doesn't involve barbie dream jets, I feel a bit stuck where I am.

But given the recent exploits, it could be much much worse. Maybe it's the American way of wanting more or the upbringing of always striving for something better, I don't think I'll be sufficiently happy until I find that perfect nirvana. The problem is perfection is fleeting, and usually an unobtainable goal for most things in life.

For instance, what is the perfect pizza? There's so many options and toppings and styles that can all be delicious and great, but can one particular pizza be the perfect one... At least for more than 20 minutes? Can that perfect house stay that way forever? Or the perfect job be satisfying, or tolerable, all the time. Doubtful.

I hate the idea of settling, but sometimes you just have to live on Domino's pizza since that's all that gets delivered to your house.

At any rate I'm on my way back to the US. And I feel almost bad for this, but this trip was partially a bust. I left home in a bad mood and feeling indecisive about life in general and the trip specifically. I didn't know really where I was going or what I was going to do. It wasn't really until I got to Vietnam that my demeanor started to improve. Unfortunately, that was three weeks into a 4 week journey. Not to say there wasn't good times along the way, but there were also days I woke up and thought I just want to be home... and for no good reason. I feel like I wasted an opportunity that very few are lucky enough to have.

And then when I woke up and it was actually time to go home, I didn't want to leave. Ironic? I supper life will work itself out, and hopefully the dark funk I've been wallowing in has lifted. Though the idea of returning to cold and icky Louisville doesn't inspire a lack of funkiness.

Well I have about 3 hours of airport appreciation and quality people watching time. I better get busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment