Sunday, October 4, 2009

See the world in green and blue, see China right in front of you.

A few randomish thoughts from the trip and returning home, in no particular organizational pattern.

I’m immensely glad I pent the money to do this. I think I really needed it I’ feel I’ve gotten a little bit of the youthful wanderlust back. It’s going to be hard to stay home. And I managed to totally not stick to the budget…. I blame the Marriott in Deira for most of that.

But I realized in the 4 hours or so in Cologne how much I dig Europe. The old feeling of a lot of the buildings, the cafes spilling out into the streets, and, in Cologne, the ever impending and ever-impressive Dom.

Dubai was a study in culture mixing. A very progressive Western style newness slamming against the Arab (and Indian/Paki/etc…) old school feeling of being somewhat far away from home. You can shop in some of the largest, most well appointed malls known to man. But for the real fun stuff, hit the souks. Where everything is negotiable. Add to that the feeling of (in newer areas) money being thrown about and the Arab dress and language all around, makes you realize you’re not in Kansas anymore. And it’s cool.

Hong Kong had much the same feel. Language I don’t understand, writing I can’t read, and I don’t look like 99% of the people. As with Dubai, a couple different sides of HK can be found… upscale new and down to earth old. The more local the flavor the more fun.

Though I think I’ve seen more Tiffany & Co, Cartier, Armani Exchange, Ferrari dealers, etc… than I ever though I would in my lifetime.

Other fun things; I like how Europeans and Aussies seem to be much more into going everywhere. With kids in tow no less. Should I ever have children (no worries, not happening anytime soon), I’m going to drag them all over the world. I think they will be better for it. Travel is a real education in other cultures and seeing the best in other cultures and people that you can never get in a classroom or from a book.

The hotel in Hong Kong was the crew hotel for both Untied and Lufthansa. I saw the different crews checking out today, and talk about opposites. The Lufty crew, while not all that young, was very attractive and well put together. A few of the ladies were very hot in that German sort of way (the others were still quite attractive) and the guys looked well groomed and dress sharply, even in the uniforms.

The United crew, well I expected a sewing circle or bingo game to break out at any moment. Very old and frumpy, sort of worn looking. They were just leaving for the trip home. And I understand that long haul flying takes a lot out of you, but I don’t think the Germans had been on any longer of a layover than the United people.

I’ll pick Lufthansa, if only for the scenery and air or solid professionalism.

One consistent thing… Indians love to sell “copy watches.” Everywhere!! The souks of Deira, the markets of Tsim Sha Tsui. And pushy, which I really hate. The Chinese were not very pushy… some bordered on inattentive. Not the Indians (or Paki’s or Bangladeshi), they start coming at you 10 feet away and follow you down the road.

Or maybe I look like a sucker in need of a fake watch.

So, now to find a trip for the next adventure. I am planning on heading to Thailand in March, but I need to get some where far away soon.

I just got back from Jennie's wedding. It was so good to see her and her family. They're such good people and like family to me. Jennie still looks the same to me as the day I met here, something like 17 years ago. Wow, I'm old! The place they held the wedding was a cabin resort near Pigeon Forge, TN. It was kind of cool there, and I wouldn't mind getting a weekend trip together for a group of us to hang out. I think it could be fun! ANyways, it's the first wedding I've been to that lasted less than 15 minute (way to go!) and the reception was football themed. Not in a tacky way, but since the groom's family are staunch UT Vols fans, Jennie and friends (including me) are Auburn fans, and a large portion of her family are Bama fans... well.. they had to accomodate all. So, the tables at the reception were color coded by teams. Off course the reception was wrapped in plenty of time for everyone to go relaxe then gather again for the Auburn-Tennessee game. Not a bad way to spend a weekend! Thank you to Jennie and Aaron for inviting me and arranging for me to have a couch to sleep on and for both families and friends being very accommodating.

Now it’s time to get back to work. I’m not enthused. Tuesday I have a hot date with my fake girlfriend for U2 in ATL. I’m looking forward to that and hopefully I’ll get to see a lot of the Atlanta peeps. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment