Friday, March 12, 2010

We are Siamese if you please.

Quick note from the far side of the world. It's day two here in Bangkok, and I gotta say it's an interesting place. Maybe it was the jetlag or the satisfaction of finally being off an airplane, but I've really taken to the place. Then again, it coule be the $2 beer. Tough to say.

I can't say I've done a whole lot since being in town. I'm waiting on my travel companion to arrive (should be here in a few hours) before doing a lot of trousity sightseeing stuff. I'm basically just sort of hanging around and meandering about. Not to say I have done some interesting stuff (and not the kind of interesting stuff that involves girls, ping pong balls, or worrying about STD's). But a few rides down the river and a couple of retail forays. Of course, there's been the eating. I'm being a little brave. Somehting looks interesting, I'll try it. Most my meals thus far have come off a street cart. I plan to coninue that trend.

Traffic here is insane, so are the dirvers. And I think one of the most amusing things are the power lines running in a knotted, tangled mass. If a wire went out You'd never figure out hoew to trace it back. I'm sure there's a fire hazard but they seem to be too concerned. I'm thinking its a world without lawyers here... and people seem to live.

Tomorrow comes the task of deciding when to move on and where to. We kind of have no set plans and are just winging it. I like it.

Last night Adamw as able to come out and meet up for a few. OK, more than a few. He's looking well and doesn't seem to be itneresting in returning on a permanent basis to the States. Can't say i blame him. I'm hoping to see more of him while I'm in the neighborhood. On a scale of 1 to Badass awesome, I gotta rate travelling roughly 9000 miles to hang out with a friend as defeintely badass.

If you ever want to see pure capitalism at work, travel to a market in a developing nation. You can buy anything, from almost everywhere, and theprices are always negotiable. This isn't heading to the mall to pick something up. Imagine going into Walmart and buy9ing a DVD but haggling with the cashier over the price. I'm not big on haglgling, and I find it hard to argue down the price of something that's selling for roughly $1.50.

I've kind of had this perma-grin since I got here. Just nice to be doing something so out of the norm for most the population. I suppose it's not for everyone to spend 30 hours in planes and airports (though getting a buzz on witgh 2 Cathay Pacific pilots at the airport bar was a good way to spend the layover, they promised they weren't flying anymore that day) tog et to a place where you can't read 98% of the signs and don't speak the language. And yeah it's a little dirty and hectic, but it's all part of the adventure. I'm glad I have such opportunities and wish I could exlpore more often. People who want to just stay home all the time.. I don't get it.

Well, I'm off. The time is running down on the clock here and I'm thirsty.

2 comments:

  1. The sooner you can let go your western polite discomfort when negotiating, the better. If it's like here you might make a friend after you close the deal - after turning the screws.

    ReplyDelete