Thursday, February 4, 2010

Again the morings comes, again he's on the run.

It's a rainy day in Georgia. At least it's not snowing. I suppose that the fine folks of Georgia would probably welcome snow, as it means a day off work and school. Well for most of the citizens. However, I'm tired of snow. I can't imagine living further north of Louisville where it starts snowing some time round November and doesn't really stop until March or so. I poor car sits in parking lot covered in road salt, which is corroding away the undercarraige as we speak. Not to mention it just looks bad. But with more snow in the forecast for the coming weekend, no real reason to wash it just yet.

But enough of that. I'm happily occupying a room at the stately TanJoe manor on the fringes of New-Nan Georgia for a few days. After making the questionable decision to give up sleep on Tuesday in the name of fitness and hair care, I flew down to Atlanta where I was happily plucked from the airport by my mother.

But first things, I subjected myself to an experiment Tuesday morning in the form of allowing some one new to touch my hair. After having the same person cut my hair for roughly 30 years, it's hard to go out and find new barbers. I have found an acceptable place for hairstyling in Louisville, but I was lured away by a hot bartender who is going through training to be a hairstylist. And really, it's apparently intensive training. After a minimum 1800 hours of class time followed by a 6 month apprenticeship, she will be allowed to touch some one's hair unsupervised. I didn;t have that much training to get my dispatch license. But, she did a good job, even if it took over an hour. And it was a free haircut!

Now, down in Georgia.. I am driving mom's car on a borrowed status. It's not my kind of car really, s I don;t feel young and cool cruising in the '87 oldsmobile (or whatever year, I'm sure it was produced prior to me being able to legally drive). It's the typical "little old lady" car. Which my mother is not a little old lady, but she bought the car from one. And really, who has a car for over a decade and drives it 30,000 miles??

But mom is gracious enough to loan it out so I can visit my hoodlum friends. I feel kind of bad sometimes that I come to town and see none of my family. I feel a bit disjointed from most of them, my interests and opinions seem to lie along a path that runs parallel to most of them (I'm not the settle down with kids and wives and horses and be a responsible adult kind of guy). PLus I tend to keep myself busy with all the friend visits when I'm in town. I guess having had the ability to choose my friends, its no wonder I would ratehr spend time with them. I guess Christmas and Thanxgiving has fulfilled my my family time quota of late (except for Darci, since we seem to be on the same non-converging path compared to the rest of the immediate family types). Of course, the same line of "when r u going to..." line of questioning gets a bit old. Some one suggested I pay an actress to play the part of a wife type, and fake wedding photos and a relationship history to bring an end to that line of questioning... seems a lot of work when I can just not answer the phone.

On the other hand, they do love me and just worry about my well being. SO I can't complain too much.

I also observed brewmaster Roberts crafting a homemade concoction that's currently fermenting under the stairs. It was interesting and seemed really simple to make one's own personal batch of beer. The only hard part is waiting the 6 weeks or so for it to be ready. I'm not known for my patience. I am however planning to be there for the initial tastes of the Newnan Black Chocolate Stout (based on the recipe of the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout). I think Joe got a little sad when I told him I'd had the original and it was good... but then I found him a sample at Brick Store (more on that later). I think he is looking forward to the 50 or so high gravity home brews that will emerge from under the stairs in a few weeks.

Yes i drug yet another friend to the scenic Decatur square for some Brick Store fun. Joe and I were joined by Grace, Jonathan, Matt, and Travis. We really revel in the fact that it's a Wednesday afternoon and we have nothing better to than to slack off and drink beer. It was actually a very nice day, warm and sunny, for slacking and drinking beer. We then departed Brick Store for Ri Ra's in midtown, to be joined by the people who weren't able to be slackers all afternoon (namely Molly, Tanya, and Elissa). I think it's so nice that the wives are willing to work all day so their husbands can entertain me in the afternoons. We also discovered that Ri Ra's, in attempts to really bring the authentic Irish pub experience to America, actually imports Irishmen (and women) to work here. Seriously, James (not me) was brought in from his home near Cork just to serve us beer with an authentic accent. It's still not he same as a small pub in Limerick, though.

Otherwise, my life of luxury seems to continue for the moment. I have another month of being well paid before I'm downgraded. I am happy to see that management raises have been re-instated. I'm happy my coworkers and I can take pay cuts (some up to 100%) to make this happen. But hey, we're lucky to have jobs!

A woman just walked into the New-Nan B&N with the most hideous red and blond hair style.. I should send her to my student stylist to help her out... I'm hoping she didn't pay for her hair color... sadness. I digress.

Anyways, I also this week resigned the lease on my apartment. I feel kind of bad about not moving in with Jon Charles, but he was most understanding... considering that my landlords were nice enough to drop my rent by 25% and I'm taking on a roommate. So looks like another year on Duker Ave.... well.. maybe.

That's about it... I have some emails to send out and contacts to make. I met a fine lady who works for Qantas on my last flight to SDF I'm going to make sure to keep in touch with. And there's vacation planning to do before taco mac tonight. Later!

1 comment:

  1. I vote that you start making your own beer. And blog about it. It could be either awesome or hilarious, so win/win.

    ReplyDelete